Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the tools that came down from Dad, I can remember watching him use it. He was a carpenter. Any guesses?

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
I would have said a tooth setting tool for a cross cut saw, but not sure///

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I am also thinking it is some kind of tooth setting tool James.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep dad sharpened his own saws Going to give it a try soon on one of his old saws

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
In our granddads' age everyone sharpened their own saws.
Especially bow saws etc. If you lived on a farm you sure in heck weren't going to ride 20 miles into town to get a saw sharpened to cut firewood, eh?
Antique Bow Saw

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
My Dad used to have one for a normal carpenters saw....I wish I still had it.

Finding someone who knows how to sharpen a saw is getting more difficult every day...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
My Dad used to have one for a normal carpenters saw....I wish I still had it.

Finding someone who knows how to sharpen a saw is getting more difficult every day...
Fortunately I still have all of the equipment from my dad to get'er done but you can still buy everything you need to do it yourself..

Saw Set - Lee Valley Tools

Handsaw Sharpener - Lee Valley Tools

Keeping the Cutting Edge Book

Fine Saw Set | Hand Saw Sets

Coarse Saw Set | Hand Saw Sets

Kunz Small Saw Set

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep!
Dad worked as a lumberjack in the winter and as a carpenter in the summer. I think I still have his somewhere as well as a couple for hand saws .most of his old stuff was sold at auction after he died but I still have a few things. Also have a couple old saw vices.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
A couple of years back I made myself a couple of backsaws. Part of the process required the tools to set and sharpen the teeth. And a good bit of reading on how to go about it.
A good saw set and its proper use is a vital part of a good job.

Its always cool to see these old tools still in use.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Yes, for setting the pitch on the teeth on hand saws. I've got one... never used it, probably never will. One of many tools handed down from Dad, possibly Grandpa, not sure as he passed when I was 5. Dad used to have a saw vice too, for holding the blade rigid while it was sharpened but that went at the yard sale.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought one about 25 years ago, along with the sharpener and jointer. I have several of my dad's saws. One rip saw is probably close to 100 years old. He took care of his tools and I'm trying to do the same.

All of his tools were hand tools. The only power tool he ever owned was a bench grinder. He even had a hand-cranked drill press.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep!
Dad worked as a lumberjack in the winter and as a carpenter in the summer. I think I still have his somewhere as well as a couple for hand saws .most of his old stuff was sold at auction after he died but I still have a few things. Also have a couple old saw vices.
Dennis
Dad's saw vice was thrown out before I could grab it. I will have to make another. His was made of two vertical 2x3's with lateral and crossbuck support. The 2x3's were v notched The jaws made from 1x4 and had matching tapers dadoed on the sides I have looked online for similar DIY saw vices but no luck.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Dad's saw vice was thrown out before I could grab it. I will have to make another. His was made of two vertical 2x3's with lateral and cross-buck support. The 2x3's were v notched The jaws made from 1x4 and had matching tapers dadoed on the sides I have looked online for similar DIY saw vices but no luck.
are you glad you asked...

I have versions of this one that are close enough to be called the same one/thing even though they were my GF's.... there are three of them all in different widths that will handle about any length saw you could have..

The Gramercy Tools 14" Saw Vise

found these links that may be of some use to you...

Saw Vise Project - Part 2 - The Gramercy Tools 14 Inch Saw Vise

Close Grain: Building A Lie-Nielsen Saw Vise

Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Newsletter

Welcome to Vintage Saw's Saw Filing Treatise

How to Build the Lie Nielsen Saw Vise | The Renaissance Woodworker

wooden saw vise | Peter Follansbee, joiner's notes

1 - 20 of 26 Posts