Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, the router would start then die. This went on for several attempts then q[uit completely. Any idea what the problem could be?

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Bob, welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

Have you blown the dust out of the router lately? Sometimes it gets plugged, no air flows thru it and it overheats. There is also the chance the brushes are worn and no longer contacting the armature. If you are comfortable taking it apart, brushes are not hard to change. If not, then take it to a service depot.

If you don't have the manual, you can download it from here: Freud Tools

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
First, the router would start then die. This went on for several attempts then q[uit completely. Any idea what the problem could be?

Bob
Hi Bob - Welcome to the forum:)
Brians suggestions are good ones, especially if has primarily been a table router. Sounds to me like the switch may be getting full of sawdust. I don't know if the 2000 has sealed switches or not.
I've had good luck with the Freud service center though.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

They are sealed but the switch will stop working if the dust gets in they are not to be used all the time upside down, it's good bet the switch will be need to replace or if you are good with you hands take the switch apart and blow it out..

A good way to check the switch is just jump it, if it runs you found the error..

=========

·
Registered
2 Posts
FT2000e

Bob
I have the same tool, and had the same problem...
Thought it might have been the variable speed controller, but the local repair shop suggested I replace the brushes with new ones.
I did, (about 15 minutes of fiddling about), and it works fabulously !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize to all for not checking responses to my problem but I solved the problem rather quickly. The router is mounted horizontally on my table. I removed it and checked the usual but found no problems. Since it seemed like an overload problem I thought I might have a dry bearing, so I stood it up on end and poured some lubricant on the front end and left it over night. The next morning the problem was solved. Thanks for all your help though.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts