Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm have the itch for an upgrade on my router table set up. Just want to run it by some of you that may have experienced the same thing that's on my mind.

Here's the deal, right now my router table is the one from Incra that sets between the LS TS rails to the left of the blade, the arrangement and/or set up work fine with the LS 17" positioner which is separate from the LS TS positioner.

I wanted to get the large stand alone 27"x43" table with a stand. As most of you know, I have unlimited space in my shop so space is not an issue.

I'd gain a lot of space between the table saw blade and the fence of the LS TS which right now is limited to about 32".

I need to admit to myself that the upgrade would be just something nice to have but really needed. I am sure that this dilemma is familiar to a lot of our members, maybe somebody will be able to shed some light on the matter and help me.

Might be the time to check with Vesta and see if she can help with the decision, bet lots of you understand what I'm getting at in that regard too.

Jerry

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Jerry if you currently have your router table as part of a saw wing and you have lots of shop space then by all means make a stand alone table. You can always fill the hole with a blank insert and then you have a backup if you need two routers set up for something.

And I know exactly what you mean by conferring with Vesta.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Will the gain justify the expense? Does it matter? :)

I'm sure Vesta will just krinkle up her nose, roll her eyes and say....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh OK....:)

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I would think 32" is more than enough...how big a piece would/could you handle...?

Having said that, I'm a bigger fan of separating router and TS...

Reactions: OttoW

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the gain justify the expense? Does it matter? :)

I'm sure Vesta will just krinkle up her nose, roll her eyes and say....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh OK....:)

Truth is, I really can't justify the expense. I have not mentioned it to Vesta and won't unless I decide to make the move. Right now we are deaing with a very large dirt moving project and expensive project in regard to changing some water ways in one of the fields. For that reason, the timing just isn't right, I need to get back to reality.

The large Incra table only cost a bit about $300 with shipping, the stand is $150 plus freight. Just can't see why a person would spend money for a stand that a person could build themselves if they had a woodworking shop,. Ummmmmm.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Its all about the timing my friend.... and when its right...go for it..but you may very well have a change of heart in the mean time.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The light bulb just came on and I'm a bit surprised that somebody didn't suggest what I'm now thinking which is, why not build a stand for the router table that I already have now. There would need to be an extension made in he stand for the base of the LS 17"positioner's base to be mounted on as the present table is not long enough to accommodate it. Should be an interesting project. Am I missing anything in my thinking?

Jerry

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Truth is, I really can't justify the expense. I have not mentioned it to Vesta and won't unless I decide to make the move. Right now we are deaing with a very large dirt moving project and expensive project in regard to changing some water ways in one of the fields. For that reason, the timing just isn't right, I need to get back to reality.

The large Incra table only cost a bit about $300 with shipping, the stand is $150 plus freight. Just can't see why a person would spend money for a stand that a person could build themselves if they had a woodworking shop,. Ummmmmm.

Jerry
Jerry - might have answered your own question - you'll know when the time is right.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Making an extension just to hold the Incra shouldn't be that hard. That's probably what I would do anyway rather than have all that table behind the fence doing nothing.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The main reason I would suggest building your own separate table is to be able to store all your Incra tools, router bits, templates, inserts, routers, wonder fence, right angle attachment, measurement and layout tools, etc.

There is something to be said for having all your like tools in one place.

And, if you get creative, it can also double as a sanding table and\or assembly table.

Check my uploads for more ideas.

The cost would be minimal, other than the top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts