Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been playing with creating decorative paddles to hang on the wall. Lots of different wildlife designs floating around in my head. Don't have Scott's painting abilities, so just have to stick to stain..

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reasoning behind "Up the river without a ......"

Dave those are fabulous. More than wild life out there.
Just think, if others dont like em, whack!
That is true. Living in northern Minnesota, I tend to have woods and water on the brain..
Thanks.

><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

·
Registered
669 Posts
Have been playing with creating decorative paddles to hang on the wall. Lots of different wildlife designs floating around in my head. Don't have Scott's painting abilities, so just have to stick to stain..
story please.

Did you buy paddles, than carve them, or do a 2 sided carve to make the entire thing? people want to know..

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
story please.

Did you buy paddles, than carve them, or do a 2 sided carve to make the entire thing? people want to know..
HaHa. Not much of a story. I wanted to try my hand at modeling something in Aspire (2 rail sweep and vectors), so I chose a paddle (as I had been given a lasered one as a gift). These were made single sided from a 1x6x36" piece of whatever I had laying around. Used a 1/2" end and ball nose for the paddle itself, 1/16 TBN for lake scene.

Once I had the paddle model created, it was just a matter of adding text, clipart or models from Design and Make. BTW, there is a paddle in their model clipart..

Add acrylic paint or stain and lacquer. See, not much of a story.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those look fabulous, Dave! How long did they take to make, start to finish, or at least ready for the finish?

David
Thanks. Depends on the paddle. The paddle itself took less than 45 minutes using a .5 end mill for rough and .5 ball nose for finish. The text did not take long at all. The cabin scene including the dish, took a couple hours with 1/16" tapered ball nose with a 6% stepover for no sanding. Probably should have used rest machining to speed things up.

Finishing is my bottle neck right now as I only have a small heated area in my shop which doesn't allow for spraying finishes and with high temps below zero lately, it is a REAL challenge.

All in all, a pretty quick and easy project. I can see a few of these in my future. All ready have several more designs done and more ideas in my head.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
1/4 end mill for the rough cut

1/8 ball nose for the finish cut

Could have probably used a 3/16 and got the same results. These are maple, which carves really really nice.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Those paddles certainly make for great displays. The one I remember from my early school days were nowhere as detailed....or maybe they were just worn down. I didn't often see them in use as unlike my Mother I don't have eyes in the back of my head :(

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
That is true. Living in northern Minnesota, I tend to have woods and water on the brain..
Thanks.

><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
I love your text fish, that might make an interesting carve for a sign.

Reactions: TenGees
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.