Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest box, 6" x 3" x 2 1/2" high.

Made from a scrap drawer blank from a much bigger bandsaw box, sliced the lid off and routed out the inside.

EDIT, just noticed its a bad pic and the reflection on the lid makes it look half bare of varnish. It isnt.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I admire you guys that can do the small detailed stuff. I can't even put hinges on straight on something like that.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Well done , what kind wood :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Very nicely done! And the burl on the top is extraordinary!

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
A fine looking box, did you take any shots showing the making?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harry, no I didnt take any pics along the way.
I make my stuff as I think of it, no plans or even drawings, just as the mood takes me.
Because of this I have a LOT of failures, so theres no point of taking pics when the item eventually goes in the fire box.

But this one was really simple. The blank, as i said, was just the cut out from a large bandsaw box drawer. I cut the lid off, and then set up some pieces as a a box stop on the router table and then just routed it out about 1.5 mm a time untill the base only had 10 mm left.
A quick skim around the edge with a pattern bit and its done.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You do some great looking work with the plywood edges, Bob. Another idea stored in my "want to do" folder. Thanks.

·
Registered
Paul
1,867 Posts
Very nice, Bob. The rounded interior and inset in the lid is interesting.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey Bob, you did a great job on the box. What type finish did you use? Always glad to see what you have produced. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Malcom......, still using home made wipe on. But results vary a lot.
I have two theories about it, but so far am not able to make my mind up.

1 is I think its because I keep buying different makes of poly.
My favourite shop shut down about 6 months ago and I cant get that make anywhere else so am trying small tins of different makers.

2 is I think temperature appears to make a huge difference to results.
Last year in high summer it was well over a 100F and I couldnt get the stuff to stay wet for more than a minute. I ended up doing that one in a room with the air con on full and then it worked really well.
Right now the temp is around 40F and its playing hard to get again.

But I am also on yet another maker. This one has a very slight greenish tinge to it when I let some dry in a clear plastic cup, whereas others dry with a brownish colour, despite all of them being labelled as clear.

Ten gees....., The rounded corners are a result of the whole interior being carved out of a solid block on the router table using a long straight cutter. I like the curves, but its very difficult to stop the ply from burning, and almost impossible to sand the burns out afterwards (sigh). But it looks nice from a distance. The lid is also shallow routed and then flocked, but only after posting the pics did I realise that the one with the box open is a very poor shot and doesnt show the lid off any where near as nice as it actually is.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,359 Posts
Beautiful work.

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
Nice effect with the ply....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts