Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the word to be delivered tomorrow.

METEOR CNC ROUTER
- Spindle/Router Mount: Porter-Cable 892
- 8pc Starter Carbide 1/4" Shank Tool Bit Set
- ATLaS Automatic Tool Length Sensor: Installed
- Dust Collection: Dust Boot
- Threaded Inserts and Table Grid

Bought VCarve Pro & Photo Carve.

Can't Wait!!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Go You!!!!!!!!

Any problems, they will do whatever it takes to get you going.

Hope you have a smoother lift off than I did - but so far, the flight was worth it

HJ

The older the boy, the more expensive the toy

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Nice table. Looks like you could put two, one on top and one on the shelf

Did Probotix pre-drill and install the threaded inserts for you or is that simply something you plan to do when you get it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being new to the machine I opted to let them install it all. The table is hopefully allowing me extra room to assemble projects while the router is running.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Hey Polpuppy,

Just a word of caution on the table. Keep it as clear of objects as possible. It doesn't take much to catch and pull wires out or get caught in the gantry rails. Guess how I know?

4D had the right idea when he made a 4 poster table --- harder for things to catch cause there's no place to lay them and the chips and dust don't lay under the machine and build up. It's not hard to just lay something down without thinking or just move something over.

Make sure you post a pic of the very first thing you cut, no matter how small or simple it is. It's a good feeling to see the first result.

Good Luck!

HJ

Learns the hard way

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks honesttjohn, I don't want to learn the hard way...:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't count on shipping freight...residential delivery...won't be here until Thursday.....was supposed to leave for camping trip....:(

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When I got mine I was also a bit frustrated by the shipping. My crate made it to a city nearby where the shipping company had a terminal, then sat there for a week before they claimed it was on the way to my house. No show that day, and so I called them. They said the only truck they had with a lift gate had broken down but would be repaired by the next day. 2 days later a driver showed up with the crate in what looked like a new truck with a lift gate. I asked if it was new as I'd heard about a break down. He didn't know a thing about that and said his truck was 3 months old and hadn't had any problems so far. No crisis, but left me very frustrated by shipping companies now that just about everything I order gets here in two days thanks to Amazon Prime.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It made it yesterday before noon as Probotixs promised. Yeaaaa Got it set up and homed so now when I get back from this family camping trip can spend some time experimenting.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Good to hear, pd. I'm surprised that you can actually leave it sit while vacationing though! I'd be so distracted by the potential back at home that I wouldn't be much fun to camp with. ;)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
When you coming back Rick?

HJ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have the grandkids fot a few days so I'm pretty busy..hahaha..no time for much else..swimming, fishing & fun. Will be back Thursday :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That means chips and dust on Friday!!!!

HJ

Reactions: politicaldog

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome to the Probotix family. I, too, have a Meteor with the tool length sensor and cyclone dust collector. Here is an important link on the tool length sensor:

Using Automatic Tool Length Sensor - PROBOTIX :: wiki

It is very important to take note of the sequence of initializing the CNC and the tool length sensor. 1. Home the CNC, 2. Click Load First Tool button, 3. Touch off X,Y,Z, 4. Run your program. On the same page is a link to the Post Processor for the tool length sensor that you'll need to install in your copy of VCarvePro. Good luck and if you have any problems, this forum is a great place to get solutions.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
For shutting down:

Disable the controller in LinuxCNC. Then turn off the controller power switch. Then you can close out/shut down LinuxCNC. If you close LinuxCNC before powering down the controller the Spindle/router can come on with no way to shut it off other than using its own switch.

I also like to jog the router to the front left corner before shutting the CNC down. Quick to Home when you start up again.

4D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good for you Jay!

I am about to buy a CNC and I am really torn between the Meteor or Nebula vs the Legacy Explorer 2. I am curious to see some projects you all have been making with your Probotics CNC and ask what you think about the rigidity of the unit, the accuracy, cutting speeds (is the Probotics a commercial tool for production?) any other thoughts would be REALLY helpful.

Legacy seems to have excellent support, the Explorer is made from Steel and has quite a following. PLUS they have an upgrade program so if you want to go bigger in a few years they will buy back your machine.... I like that idea. BUT you seem to get a lot for your $$ with Probotics ....

Also I am interested in the Controller software. Not much experience with Linux but have read a lot about the MACH3 software....

HELP!
ProfLemoi

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I'm a Probotix fan. I got the Nebula. You can just look at the pics on our albums. One bit of advice . ...... get the spindle instead of using a router.

HJ

1 - 20 of 40 Posts