Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sears 2 Hp Router mdl 315.269210. The depth adjusting mechanism is a cylinder housing with spiral grooves and a series of adjustment rings, one of which has the mating tread that, when rotated, causes the cylinder to move up or down - thus adjusting the height of the cut (all elementary) Any way, I can't rotate the ring - it has gotten worse over the years. I have taken it apart and cleaned out the dust - no change. I then sprayed on a silicone lub for plastics and it still fits too tightly to rotate. When I attempt to put the ring over the cylinder the fit is too tight even before the treads are engaged. I don't think it is thermal expantion differences between the two plastics involved but I am suspecious that the plastic in the ring is a urethane that my have slowly moisture cured over time and constricted the ring. I am about to attempt to grind out the inside of the ring and anticipate all kinds of problems in getting it perfectly circular and in getting any kind of a smooth surface.
So - has anyone had the same or similar experience - if so what did you do? On the other hand, given my proposed plans for correction, do you have any suggestion that will assure circularity and surface finish. I have a limited aray or tools (wood lath, dremel tools, etc) but the router is currently of little use so I can't make it much worse.
Any one know what happens to old routers (or any hand tools for that matter)? Is there an old 'router junk yard' where you can get parts?
Appreciate any input . Duane

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Duane and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

Only time I delt with one of those, I gave it back to it's owner and nearly decided that the router wasn't for me!!! Sorry all I can offer up is an old story, but BJ and some others, I am sure, will br able to help you out.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Duane

The old type Craftsman routers with the ring is a PITA but look at part number 26 to 29 and see if it's damage if so replace it other than that pickup one of the new routers (combo kit ,80.oo on sale now) and sell the one you have to some one on eBay for parts only, than you will be a happy camper, Sears dropped that old type many years ago.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...7/0740000/50024391/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

=========
I have a sears 2 Hp Router mdl 315.269210. The depth adjusting mechanism is a cylinder housing with spiral grooves and a series of adjustment rings, one of which has the mating tread that, when rotated, causes the cylinder to move up or down - thus adjusting the height of the cut (all elementary) Any way, I can't rotate the ring - it has gotten worse over the years. I have taken it apart and cleaned out the dust - no change. I then sprayed on a silicone lub for plastics and it still fits too tightly to rotate. When I attempt to put the ring over the cylinder the fit is too tight even before the treads are engaged. I don't think it is thermal expantion differences between the two plastics involved but I am suspecious that the plastic in the ring is a urethane that my have slowly moisture cured over time and constricted the ring. I am about to attempt to grind out the inside of the ring and anticipate all kinds of problems in getting it perfectly circular and in getting any kind of a smooth surface.
So - has anyone had the same or similar experience - if so what did you do? On the other hand, given my proposed plans for correction, do you have any suggestion that will assure circularity and surface finish. I have a limited aray or tools (wood lath, dremel tools, etc) but the router is currently of little use so I can't make it much worse.
Any one know what happens to old routers (or any hand tools for that matter)? Is there an old 'router junk yard' where you can get parts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

I have the same problem and after searching the internet, i have decided to force the depth adjustment for one last time and use the router for log furniture making only. Time to get a new router.
Bart

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I have the same problem and after searching the internet, i have decided to force the depth adjustment for one last time and use the router for log furniture making only. Time to get a new router.
Bart
Is the nut (or nut assembly) and rod still available? If not, why not have the threads of both chased at a machine shop? (If you had a tap and die for it, well...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts