Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've recently built a basic router table and mounted a Ryobi 8.5 Amp 1-1/2 Peak HP Fixed Base Router into it. When sitting upright, the bottom of the threaded part of the depth adjustment has a small hex end. This looks like it is designed to be used to more easily adjust the depth when the tool is used in a router table. I added a hole in the table to be able to use it, but I've been unable to cobble anything together has a small enough diameter to fit through the hole in the router base.

Does anyone know if there is a tool available for this? My internet searches haven't yielded anything helpful.

I can custom make a tool if I need to but I figured I'd check around a little more before I went down that path.

Thanks - BH

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
is it hex headed or socket style

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stick,

It's a hex head - I have a small socket that fits, it's the "getting to the socket" part where I'm having trouble.

BH

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
What about attaching a short socket to the hex bolt, with a 1/4 hex opening on the top. You could use a 1/4 hex shaft to adjust height. If you're not taking the router out of the table, you could use a little daub of LockTight (not the permanent type) to keep the socket in place.

This is a Harbor Freight solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@PhilBa - Sorry no pics - wasn't at a place where I could snag them easily. Enlarging the hole may be my only option.

@ Everyone else :) - I appreciate the suggestions. I think that finding a hex (female) "Coupler" and a hex key would be the way to go without enlarging the access hole in the router base.

BH

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The speeder wrench is faster and the offset in the handle helps to keep track of how much you are adjusting. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007UTQ2Z6?tag=duc12-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 Plus the only way to go faster would be to use a drill like Herb said. But as he alluded to there can be problems with doing that.

The Speed Drill brings back bad memories of an old hand drill... sends shivers through me. If I had to use only hand tools, I wouldn't be woodworking.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
[MENTION=119729] I think that finding a hex (female) "Coupler" and a hex key would be the way to go without enlarging the access hole in the router base.

BH
brilliant!!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I still use one of those and have 70 to 80 bits for it. It's amazing how fast they cut if you know how to sharpen the bits and with the ratcheting mechanism on the brace you can drill in some pretty tight spots. And no cords or batteries.
You are a better man than me.... you also probably have and use the dreaded hand saw!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
@Herb Stoops - Just exactly like that, but that's the Jetsons version where mine is more like Flintstones version.
I think you can make one with one of the long hex drive extenders and make a crank handle out of metal or wood . You will probably have to drill the hole in the base and table top to clear the hex adapter and put a knob or crank on top.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=Plastic+Knob&ia=images&iax=images

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lever+arms/crank&t=ffsb&iax=images&ia=images

HErb

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can find the Ryobi Factory tool on line at ToolTopia.com the price is great. Just ordered one myself.
I don't know the metric size but a 3/16" wrench fits it. I was thinking about fabing one until I found this one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.