Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in routers which uses 240v. and with a 1/10mm depth control. The blue pro Bosch has it and apparently Festo but how is it with the other labels? I'm using Leigh D4R and it's tricky to get the right bit depth on an old Elu MOF96.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Esko, Do you realize that is about the equivalent to the thickness of one sheet of paper?

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,000 Posts
I doubt there would be room for glue, making for a weak joint.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Perhaps Esko's question was misunderstood? All he's asking is if there are other routers that have the fine adjustment calibrated in 1/10 mm increments. In effect he's asking to be able to accurately set a 10.3mm depth difference from a 10.7mm depth (for example). No guessing. Seems reasonable. Foe sure a piece of 20lb bond stands proud of a smooth table top; three thicknesses would be an issue.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank's Pat and Dan.
Pat. The plunge-router is an odball here in Finland. Ofcourse I'v seen those in pics in books and magazines but I haven't had such in my hand or seen it in toolstores.
Dan. You'r on the right track.
There is a diference. I get less sanding when I have an easy depth control on my router.
Ofcourse you guys use leigh and similar jigs all the time and I just don't know how to use mine.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Thank's Pat and Dan.
Pat. The plunge-router is an odball here in Finland. Ofcourse I'v seen those in pics in books and magazines but I haven't had such in my hand or seen it in toolstores.
Dan. You'r on the right track.
There is a diference. I get less sanding when I have an easy depth control on my router.
Ofcourse you guys use leigh and similar jigs all the time and I just don't know how to use mine.
"I get less sanding when I have an easy depth control on my router. "

Basically, your perfect Finnish... heheheh :)

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
The Triton router with it's micro adjuster can be set to any depth within the range.

I suspect that any router with a micro adjuster will suffice.

At the recent Sydney wood show a demonstrator advised that each turn of the knob was about 0.1mm.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
"There is a diference. I get less sanding when I have an easy depth control on my router."
You're suggesting fixed base routers might be able to hit a .1mm target. They will not.
Their primary disadvantage. None of them can make a 4 mil change and hit that change without some iteration. No fixed base router can hit target depth (in the hand) on the first shot except x luck. Plungers can but not fixed base.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Perhaps Esko's question was misunderstood? All he's asking is if there are other routers that have the fine adjustment calibrated in 1/10 mm increments. In effect he's asking to be able to accurately set a 10.3mm depth difference from a 10.7mm depth (for example). No guessing. Seems reasonable.
Definitely reasonable. With a dovetail jig I find 0.2mm either way on depth adjustment can make the difference between a good joint and one which is either too loose or won't go together. I rely on a bit of trial and error to get the depth right but it would be nice to be able to just dial it straight in.

The Triton router with it's micro adjuster can be set to any depth within the range.

I suspect that any router with a micro adjuster will suffice.

At the recent Sydney wood show a demonstrator advised that each turn of the knob was about 0.1mm.
On the Triton MOF001 each mark on the fine adjuster is 0.2mm, and one full turn is 2mm. Not sure about the bigger model. The control is certainly fine enough to make 0.1mm adjustments but gear backlash is a problem. You get a bit of a "dead spot" when you switch from adjusting up to adjusting down, which would need a bit of finesse to take out of the equation if you wanted to achieve 0.1mm accuracy.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Thanks for making that clear, Andy.

I was going from memory..

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you for the good answers.
But what was the original
Q: Is there enough space for pvac?
Q: Are there other labels on the market with 1/10mm depth control than Bosch?
Can't remember anymore...

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Esko, the after lock fine adjustment on the Bosch MRC23EVSK is hard to beat. In Europe it is called the GOF600.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm interested in routers which uses 240v. and with a 1/10mm depth control. The blue pro Bosch has it and apparently Festo but how is it with the other labels? I'm using Leigh D4R and it's tricky to get the right bit depth on an old Elu MOF96.
Hi Esko

These routers may well have a 1/10mm setting on their depth scales, but I question how accurate any of them are because they will all suffer from backlash in the adjuster rendering their scale calibration next to useless. You could achieve the desired result with your old MOF96 (or for that matter any other plunge router) simply by bolting-on an electronic DRO (digital read out) and scale, such as one of those by Wixey.

To my knowledge there has only ever been one router brand which was fitted with a dial calliper to achieve a similar effect - Metabo. These days they only sell one router with such a facility, the 8mm-1/4in Signal Ofe.1229

They used to sell a 1/2in router, the OFe.1812 (actually made by Felisatti in Italy, but with some Metabo-only additional features, including the dial indicator)

but this was dropped a year or two back. If you really need one you might get lucky by Googling the model

I've used the Signal - it's made by Metabo in Germany (not bought-in or Chinese) and is very reminiscent of the MOF96 design if a little lighter, even the fences are interchangeable. In the past a variant of this model, without the dial scale, was also sold under the Holz-Her name, another quality make.

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Phil. You have illustrated me everything about the router depth adjustment.
With your info I understand that I have been unprecise. The backlash doesn't bother me that mush. I could even be happy with a microadjuster with only + and - marks. But with dovetail joints thats not enough.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think its been mentioned but on any machine thats got a threaded adjuster if you find out the pitch of the thread you can work out a kind of a scale even if it doesn't have lines calibrated on it.

For instance if its got a 1mm thread (thats would be an M6 thread and yeah this is metric) a half turn is fairly unsurprisingly half a mm.
Its the principle behind micrometers anyway.
I have a metric micrometer that has a thimble with .5mm thread pitch and a full turn equals half a mm, the scale on the thimble reads upto 50 so every increment is a hundredth of a milimetre and two turns is a mm.

Obviously there's backlash to be taken into account and its possible to get shim washers that lessen it, in some cases its possible to split the nut on the adjuster and put a grub screw into separate it slightly like lathe adjusters but thats only really possible on big stuff and its not really happening on a router.

Even just measuring the thread pitch of any adjuster and writing the result next to it helps work things out I think.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Scott!
You know. Sometimes you have the obvious answer right in front of you but yoyu cannot read it. I bought the router new and since then I've hit my head against the workshopwall because the lack of fineadjuster. And now you have kindly showed me that it was all for nothing. I wish I would have joined this forum as early as 1995.
Many thanks Scott!!!
Hope I now can get rid of the red colour on the wall...
Say, do you know does the clone machine accessories fit EluMOF96. I need a dust port and the original Elu/DeWalt makes 80-90€ in Finland.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
I don't think its been mentioned but on any machine thats got a threaded adjuster if you find out the pitch of the thread you can work out a kind of a scale even if it doesn't have lines calibrated on it.

For instance if its got a 1mm thread (thats would be an M6 thread and yeah this is metric) a half turn is fairly unsurprisingly half a mm.
Its the principle behind micrometers anyway.
I have a metric micrometer that has a thimble with .5mm thread pitch and a full turn equals half a mm, the scale on the thimble reads upto 50 so every increment is a hundredth of a milimetre and two turns is a mm.

Obviously there's backlash to be taken into account and its possible to get shim washers that lessen it, in some cases its possible to split the nut on the adjuster and put a grub screw into separate it slightly like lathe adjusters but thats only really possible on big stuff and its not really happening on a router.

Even just measuring the thread pitch of any adjuster and writing the result next to it helps work things out I think.
I have an epiphany... thanks ...
Hidden in plain sight....:blink::blink

1 - 20 of 41 Posts