Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a peek inside my router, and it appears it would be quite easy to remove the speed control switch, extend the 3 wires, and mount the switch somewhere on the router table.
It also appears that with a little finesse that one could do it so that if it had to be put back in for warranty or other reasons, it could be done without any evidence of it ever being removed.

Just curious if anyone has ever done this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've replaced the speed controller on both Dewalt 625 routers. If it works it would be fine for a table mount. Is this what you want to do wit the router? Controller $70

I've not found a use for variable speed except on large bits.

Whatt do you use the variable speed for?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not found a use for variable speed except on large bits.

Whatt do you use the variable speed for?
Being as I'm still a greenhorn at the router, I've found when trying to be extra careful, my feeding speed might be a little slow, turning the speed down a bit seems to prevent burning.
But, I have a door project coming up (I'll post about that soon) and I expect to be using some rather large bits, hence slower speeds being necessary.
Also, in the process of designing my table cabinet, I'm thinking about coming up with a dust collection addition to it that might totally enclose the router (airflow provided for) that might make it a PITA to adjust the speed at the router itself.

It's all just thoughts and info gathering at this point.

Thanks for your post!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Most bits usually state recommended RPM on there bit packages. Usually only panel bits reduce to 10-12 rpm.

You might try a site like Amana and see if they will have the recommended rpm on the bits you are looking at for doors.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I took a peek inside my router, and it appears it would be quite easy to remove the speed control switch, extend the 3 wires, and mount the switch somewhere on the router table.
It also appears that with a little finesse that one could do it so that if it had to be put back in for warranty or other reasons, it could be done without any evidence of it ever being removed.

Just curious if anyone has ever done this.

Thanks.
If you can bypass the variable speed of the router you could use a speed control that your router plugs in to. Here is one of many Router Speed Control.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most bits usually state recommended RPM on there bit packages. Usually only panel bits reduce to 10-12 rpm.

You might try a site like Amana and see if they will have the recommended rpm on the bits you are looking at for doors.
I've looked at Amana, infinity, and Freud. I just haven't made the decision yet on what I need.
I'm sure you'll be of great help on my upcoming door thread!
If you can bypass the variable speed of the router you could use a speed control that your router plugs in to. Here is one of many Router Speed Control.
It's easy to bypass, without doing a whole lot.
The thing is, (to me) why spend the money when there's one there already that's designed to do the job?
BBQJoe said so he could control the speed from above the table without going into the routers dust box/bucket.
Indeed!

·
Registered
670 Posts
If your getting ready to start routing it should be cleaned enough to set it. Then when your done clean it again....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your like an onion, well just have to pull the layers back to find your funny bone..
Oh, I got a funny bone alright, I just gotta peel you guys first to see how much you can take, or how much it takes before I start getting warnings from mods.
I'm just in reserved/low key mode for now. ;)

·
Registered
670 Posts
The mods are pretty easy going. Just have to stay away from hot topics....

Sometimes I may say something that may be taken wrong, but I never intend to offend anyone..

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
A reference for router speeds and the results from too fast/slow and your feed rates. I have a chart taped on the wall at the router table. Rule of thumb is the larger the bit the slower the RPMs. My raised panel cutter takes 2 passes for the full cut with my 3 HP motor and the speed is as low as my digital controller will got at 12,000 rpms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.