Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
many thanks for your help --

just started seeing this issue -- wood stalls in feeding -- router keeps running but wood stops feeding -- like the rollers are stopped
or just spinning -- if you push -- you can complete the cut -- there is a line across the wood where it stopped but no discernible change in cut / depth -- specifics are: speed 2 -- dimensioning, depth of cut -- 1/32", walnut, 4 - 6" wide, spiral head, drive belt looks OK but it just
occurred to me that i haven't looked to see if it is running when the feed stops -- need to check that --

first occurrences were after 30 m of use so i started resting the planer 15m or so but this am was on the first piece through

very infrequently i have had the 20A wall breaker flip and everything shut down -- planer is only device running on that circuit --
it has also happened recently but i can't say its tied to the other --

took off the top cover and vacuumed out the dust -- nothing amiss that i could see --

appreciate your thoughts and direction --

larry

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
the machine needs cleaning and maintenance...
knives are dull..
consult page 8 of your owners manual...

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you --

i had checked the manual for that sort of stuff and it is no help --

would you have any links to info on how/what to do -- i've replaced the drive belt, put in a spiral head so i know my way around
the planer a bit -- i periodically clean and lubricate the depth drive screws and they run smooth --

how do you access the rollers ?

any specifics you could provide would be greatly appreciated --

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
disconnect the power....
reach inside the machine and clean the rollers w/ paint thinner or turps..
wax the table while you are in there..

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
another thing...

there are a couple of covers on the right and left that has some cogs and chains inside. those work like a bike chain the central shaft turns and moves a chain. the chain is attached to some cogs that turn the rollers. take off the caps and see if they are broken or come lose.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
It also sounds to me like you might be trying to take too big a bite on each pass. The tripped breaker and the feed stalling are clues. I don't know about that particular machine but my 16" King has a steel feed roller in front of the head and a rubber roller past that head. I've replaced the rubber roller and I may be in need of replacing the steel one or trying to resharpen the edges on it. It resembles a gear and after 1000s of board feet the edges on it may be getting dull and losing their grip but you shouldn't be having that issue yet if your machine is fairly new.

Reactions: dirt_dobber

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. Changing the knives and really cleaning the rollers took care of my problem. Searching YouTube I came across a video where the same type of problem was caused by the one of the roller drive gears having a sheared key. The gear spun freely on the roller shaft without moving the roller.

However tripping the breaker does not fit that scenario.

Good luck tho on finding what to clean the rollers with. I used small amounts alcohol but never did find agreement among people or companies on what to use.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Glad you got it going. As usual I am a day late and a dollar short on responding to these posts.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I was cleaning saw blades the other day with some Trend Bit and Blade cleaner. It works well but it left some sticky residue on the saw plate so I tried spraying the plate with WD40 to see if it would help get the residue off and it worked like a charm. I might just try using it next time instead of the Trend and see if if does as good or better on it's own. The residue was from cutting fir and pine and the oily solvent in the WD40 may soften it better.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i ran down a couple of utube videos on cleaning the rollers -- one of those presenters recommended Simple Green -- didn't have that but we have used a cleaning product called Awesome in other settings that has worked well -- it seemed to work OK -- i could see "damage" on the front roller -- scattered marks, tracks -- looked to be superficial -- rear roller was smooth -- found in the utube search, a presentation on how to replace the rollers but it was on another dewalt model -- but the attachment of the rollers to the underside was the same so the difference appeared to be in removing the drive linkage and sprockets -- each roller is ~ $70 -- so i am hanging hard to the old adage -- if it ain't broke ..... and going forward as is -- until it gets a lot worse --

i appreciate all the helpful responses -- and i am embarrassed to admit that it never occurred to me to just turn on the planer to move the rollers -- i got fixated on the idea that you had to physically remove the rollers to clean them -- i am very adept at constructing the most complicated solutions to the simplest problems -- and that is why this forum is so useful to me -- thank you.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"it never occurred to me to just turn on the planer to move the rollers -- i got fixated on the idea that you had to physically remove the rollers to clean them "
Obviously you didn't mean cleaning them with the machine running... *shock!*
(There are those among us that might try doing that! )

·
Registered
1 Posts
many thanks for your help --

just started seeing this issue -- wood stalls in feeding -- router keeps running but wood stops feeding -- like the rollers are stopped
or just spinning -- if you push -- you can complete the cut -- there is a line across the wood where it stopped but no discernible change in cut / depth -- specifics are: speed 2 -- dimensioning, depth of cut -- 1/32", walnut, 4 - 6" wide, spiral head, drive belt looks OK but it just
occurred to me that i haven't looked to see if it is running when the feed stops -- need to check that --

first occurrences were after 30 m of use so i started resting the planer 15m or so but this am was on the first piece through

very infrequently i have had the 20A wall breaker flip and everything shut down -- planer is only device running on that circuit --
it has also happened recently but i can't say its tied to the other --

took off the top cover and vacuumed out the dust -- nothing amiss that i could see --

appreciate your thoughts and direction --

larry
The same happens to me but only for a brief moment. I always figured it was the wood. I give it a little more push and it's over.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,163 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts