Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a very cheap dw618 that needs some help. I've rebuild a lot of larger power tools but as of yet, not a router, so I'm looking for a little guidance before I crack this one open.

I know it needs bearings & have done them on other tools, so my only question here is: is there anything out of the ordinary or unique to routers that I should know in changing them out? (no need to to say, "don't use cheap bearings"...I know better on that issue)

Next, and maybe this needs to be addressed first before I spend time on bearings, when it runs, I'm hearing a significant internal noise that sounds like electrical sparking/arcing.
I looked at the brushes & they appear good. Haven't pulled out the armature & cleaned anything yet.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Router rebuild question

I just posted a thread titled "DeWalt DW616/618 question" and it occurred to me that it really was a more general question on router rebuilding so I'm adding this to refer any non Dewalt person who is savvy on rebuilding for their help as well.

There might be a way to link these up, but I just don't know how.

So I welcome anyone with technical expertise in general to jump in. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
They've had countless problems blowing their VS toroids. I'd be looking for (if they exist) the VS electronics that don't fail under load. The 616 is not a VS.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
There are variations in how they come apart but other than that changing bearings is about the same as for any other tool. I'm not sure about the other noises. Maybe you'll see something when it comes apart.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Tom please keep us updated on what you find and how you fix it. Might help the rest of us.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I just posted a thread titled "DeWalt DW616/618 question" and it occurred to me that it really was a more general question on router rebuilding so I'm adding this to refer any non Dewalt person who is savvy on rebuilding for their help as well.

There might be a way to link these up, but I just don't know how.

So I welcome anyone with technical expertise in general to jump in. Thanks.
see if any of this helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Stick you are just full of it. >:) Information that is. Well done.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a similar noise / sparking problem so I replaced the bearings and brushes in mine. Fairly straight forward operation, it solved the problem however I was only able to get the bearing (at the collet end) off. I did have a puller - no luck, but didn't want to try heat. I stopped before I did more damage. No matter, it must have been the bearing I replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts