Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any guidelines for how tight the base clamp should be? How much presuure should it take to tighten the clamp?
I was doing some routing yesterday and something slipped. I checked and it was not the bit collect so I’m assuming it was the base clamp. I was trimming the red oak edging that I applied to a plywood shelf. I made one of those jigs that rides on the surface of the shelf and planes the edging. I’m going back to using a flush trim bit with the shelf held vertically.
One thing I’m wondering is if there was some ‘slop’ in the adjustment similar to what you get with a table saw or drill press table when you lower the table saw blade or drill press table instead of raising them into final position.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Are there any guidelines for how tight the base clamp should be? How much presuure should it take to tighten the clamp?
I was doing some routing yesterday and something slipped. I checked and it was not the bit collect so I’m assuming it was the base clamp. I was trimming the red oak edging that I applied to a plywood shelf. I made one of those jigs that rides on the surface of the shelf and planes the edging. I’m going back to using a flush trim bit with the shelf held vertically.
One thing I’m wondering is if there was some ‘slop’ in the adjustment similar to what you get with a table saw or drill press table when you lower the table saw blade or drill press table instead of raising them into final position.
No guidelines I know of. I make the clamp as tight as possible without damaging the board. If I have a doubt that it won't hold I'll add another clamp.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No guidelines I know of. I make the clamp as tight as possible without damaging the board. If I have a doubt that it won't hold I'll add another clamp.
My apologies if my post was confusing. I meant the clamp that secures the body of the router in the router base.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's not clear whether you noticed slipping while routing, or at the outset. If the latter, it is likely due to lash in the height adjustment; check the bit depth before turning on the motor. If the former, I'm not aware of any guidelines, but for every router I've owned (Bosch, Milwaukee, C'man, but no DeWalt), it takes a firm, but not heavy force to close the latch. I'd say hard to close using finger pressure, but easy using your palm. Usually there's an adjusting nut on the under side of the latch, and I'd tighten just enough for a firm closure- don't want to put undue tension on the base or the motor. Before going too far, clean the mating surfaces to make sure there's nothing (oil) making them slippery. If you have the kit with the plunge base, you could compare the clamping force on that.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I have tightened mine by about a 1/4 turn of the nut from it's factory position, and it was adequate for two of them. My third DW618 required a second time. Just tighten the nut 1/16 to 1/4 turn and try it. If that isn't enough, go back and do it again. It doesn't take much, but be careful and keep these tightening steps small. Too much is not a good thing.

Charley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts