Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the MAGNET RING on my router. To install the new MAGNET RING the top Bearing has to be removed. I have removed the bearing and will replace it with a new bearing. The bearing is a 6001Z. I bought a new bearing at a local bearing shop. I was sold a 6001ZZ bearing. I realized this when I got home.
I've read about the different types of bearings but can't find anything definitive about whether it is/isn't an issue using a ZZ bearing instead of a Z bearing.
Would appreciate any info/advice on this.
Thank You

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
My first call would be to the bearing shop, to find out what the difference is between the 2 numbers.

Reactions: Holsterguy

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first call would be to the bearing shop, to find out what the difference is between the 2 numbers.
I have found enough info on the net which explains the difference. A lot of the info is opinion. Either one will work. No clear winner. Z might have more dust protection whereas the ZZ might perform better. I'm just trying to get info based on personal experience. The bearing shop I went to does a lot of electric motor and automotive bearings but doesn't seem to deal with a lot of woodworking motors/bearings.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it done. Replaced both bearings. Installed the new Magnet Ring. Working OK…Tested different speeds. I found some info on a site that sold the Magnet Ring and the recommendation was to use Loctite 680 to secure the Magnet Ring, which I did.
I also found some info that said the Magnet Ring broke a lot on this router. Also, some have that suggested that using this router in a table was not a good thing to do because of the way the router directs the air flow and that this could allow dust/wood to get inside the router and possibly damage the Magnet Ring.
I have used my router in a table quite a bit and did not find much dust inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts