Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my Dw 618 started to make a different noise (sounding really nasty) and lost your power. I immediately turned off and open the cap to see if was anything broken or burned. It's seems everything is ok. I'd spin the center post (communicator?) It spun freely it didn't feel like it was grinding on anything. So I suspect about carbon brushes.

Are these brush motor heads bad? Is this may be the problem?

I take some pictures and made a little video to help.

Youtube video:
youtube.com/watch?v=_-CyXYR5Hxc

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Joel. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,835 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Joel
looks to me like that brush needs replaced

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Joel and welcome. Where the brush makes contact with the commutator doesn't look that good. It looks rough and it shouldn't be. The other main cause of noise is bearings so roll the shaft over quite a few times by hand and see if you can feel rough spots. If you do they need replacing.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Welcome to the forum Joel. Was this router mounted in a table when it started making noise ? If so make sure a small screw or something hasn't gotten inside . Not sure if that is possible but makes one wonder . Those brushes don't look great IMO

·
Super Moderator
John
6,835 Posts
take a good look at the commutator something tore up the end of that brush!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum Joel. Was this router mounted in a table when it started making noise ? If so make sure a small screw or something hasn't gotten inside . Not sure if that is possible but makes one wonder . Those brushes don't look great IMO
No. It doesn't.

Hi Joel and welcome. Where the brush makes contact with the commutator doesn't look that good. It looks rough and it shouldn't be. The other main cause of noise is bearings so roll the shaft over quite a few times by hand and see if you can feel rough spots. If you do they need replacing.
The bearings seems to be Ok. I roll it the by hand and dont feell nothing abnormal.

Today I realized that speed control isn't work either. Due the commutator issue the motor can rotate to your full rpm.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Joel, The noise is most likely from a bad bearing causing it to run untrue and caused the chipping on the brushes. Another cause of brush failure is using too small of a cord for the amperage draw of the motor...but I suspect the bearings.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My motor did the same thing last week and the brushes looked the same way. I bought a Bosch motor to put in my table, and the DeWalt is off to the service center. Since mine is under a year old it will be free to repair/replace. I read somewhere that using the 618 in a table (which I do predominately) is not a good idea. Something about the top bearing? As with yours mine felt fine so I tried to continue and wound up with sparks flying everywhere and the motor speed fluctuating. If I get any answers from the service center I'll let you guys know!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
My motor did the same thing last week and the brushes looked the same way. I bought a Bosch motor to put in my table, and the DeWalt is off to the service center. Since mine is under a year old it will be free to repair/replace. I read somewhere that using the 618 in a table (which I do predominately) is not a good idea. Something about the top bearing? As with yours mine felt fine so I tried to continue and wound up with sparks flying everywhere and the motor speed fluctuating. If I get any answers from the service center I'll let you guys know!!
I've got the same model and use it a lot in the table. Will be interested in what you find out.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just found a review of this router. Concerning using it in a table, it said that the direction of air flow would try to blow the dust up but any that settled back down would wind up in the motor with questionable long term effects. Edge routing with table top dust collection would probably grab a lot of the dust.....time will tell.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Of those who have had problems, who have it mounted in an enclosed cabinet with the dust collection below it? Just curious as my stance on the subject is that it is a bad idea.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Of those who have had problems, who have it mounted in an enclosed cabinet with the dust collection below it? Just curious as my stance on the subject is that it is a bad idea.
I never even considered this type of problem when I bought my router as table mounting is such a common thing to do. How do other router manufacturers handle table mounting and air flow in order not to have this type of problem? Is this a 'design flaw' unique to the DW618 or a problem that any router (or any power too) could have with dust not being adequately evacuated?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I never even considered this type of problem when I bought my router as table mounting is such a common thing to do. How do other router manufacturers handle table mounting and air flow in order not to have this type of problem? Is this a 'design flaw' unique to the DW618 or a problem that any router (or any power too) could have with dust not being adequately evacuated?
haven't seen it w/ a Bosch routers...but then they have some serious air flow...

·
Registered
22 Posts
It looks as if there was considerable arcing on the brushes. From my motor experience you may have an open winding on your armature. Usually on a small motor if you can't find a replacement at a decent price it's not worth the cost of having a repair shop do a rewind. Occasionally you can find a broken connection to the commutator and do a re-solder job. Out of several that I've worked on in my life time I've only been able to repair a couple. I just scrapped an electric chainsaw after trying and to do a repair and burning up 2 new sets of brushes. I couldn't buy replacement parts and it was only 2 years old. It looks like the cost of a new armature may be about 1/2 the cost of a new router.
I can't post a URL link since I don't have 10 posts but I have a good site on trouble shooting but here is part of the link.
ereplacementparts.com/article/968/Diagnosing_Electric_Power_Tools_101.html#decrease

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
When I built the box under the table for my router,I cut a hole in the bottom the router sticks thru so it is always breathing clean air. The shavings are sucked from around the router and out of the box. works like a charm.

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I like it Herb...
well thought out...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts