Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older dewalt dw733 12 1/2" thickness planner it has started skipping and jerking when you send a board through it even with a super light pass. I cleaned the rollers and waxed the bed but it is still jumping and skipping. I checked the roller drive chains and sprockets they look good. I ran it with the cover off and the roller drive chains jump real bad when it skips but they are not skipping the sprockets. I was wondering if anyone else may have had this problem and what the solution might be. I am wondering if it might be a broken gear inside the motor.
Thanks
Roxanne:wacko:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have an older dewalt dw733 12 1/2" thickness planner it has started skipping and jerking when you send a board through it even with a super light pass. I cleaned the rollers and waxed the bed but it is still jumping and skipping. I checked the roller drive chains and sprockets they look good. I ran it with the cover off and the roller drive chains jump real bad when it skips but they are not skipping the sprockets. I was wondering if anyone else may have had this problem and what the solution might be. I am wondering if it might be a broken gear inside the motor.
Thanks
Roxanne:wacko:

I had 734 that went gunny sack last spring due to my shop being drenched when a tornado took part of the roof off of the shop. The remedy was to buy a 735 which is a real improvement over the 734 model. I'm not trying to be cute though it may sound like it, I am saying that if it comes to having to buy a new planer, you wure will be happy with the 735.

Wish I could help you with the problem that you have described, you might need to get it to a Dewalt Repair Center. Let us know what you finally find out and/do with the tool.

Jerry

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
If this is happening at regular intervals then my guess is a tooth has broken. It is also possible that a roll pin that locates a gear has failed, maybe slid part way out and is causing the jump. I think it will have to be taken apart to find the problem.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Roxanne, I suspect the drive chain has a failure in a link. I would mark the side of one link then run it to see if the jumping occurs at the same point in relation to the mark. If so the chain has a bad link or is stiff at some point. Or if the chain could be removed you could inspect each link. If a chain gets twisted it would also make it jump at regular intervals in relation to your mark. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Before you do start looking at replacement parts, clean and wax the table, and then send a few test pieces through. Sometimes pitch and/or resins for the woods will coat the table, and will make it sticky rather than slippery and the planer will have trouble pulling the piece through.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Roxanne,

I just had to take my 733 to the local Dewalt service center for a similar problem. The result was that I needed a new roller (I forgot whether it was the infeed or the outfeed roller) and also a new belt.
If you are near a service center maybe they can analyze yours and give you a quote. The cost for my parts and labor was $ 105 including a new electrical cord that had a splice in it. Better than having to buy a now planer!

Good Luck,
Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.