Router Forums banner

Diamond Tip Bit & Mirror

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  marecat3 
#1 ·
I cleaned out a file drawer recently and found patterns from when I did stained glass work 40 years ago. I have a diamond tipped bit I've used several times on acrylic and not happy with results. I decided to try it on a mirror I've had for years. The original pattern I used is 20" X 24". I had it scanned at a local UPS Store and scaled it down in Aspire. The patterns have line 1/16" thick, so they work well in the "Import Bitmap" function.

The fill on the small lines worked well however I ran the heavy branches 3 time to get the hatched fill I wanted.

I never thought about how difficult it is to take a good picture of a mirror!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful! Did you work from the back or front?

#4 ·
I think you might be onto something there Bob. I`ll bet there are lots of bars and restaurants that would pay to have a mirror engraved with something pertaining to their business.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
The bit is spring loaded and has about .25" of compression, so I set the depth/pressure to 0.1". I laid the mirror directly on the spoilboard and lightly clamped at each corner. Ran the DC however there were lot of very small glass pieces all over the spoilboard. I ran the shop vac over it but it still had a lot of pieces slightly in the grooves. I had to blow it off with an air hose before cleaning with glass cleaner.

Reactions: MEBCWD
#11 ·
This likely would be a good capitol venture for someone who uses their cnc to make profit. At 73 years of age and after a 42 year work career, everything I make is for me, my family or gifts to family and friends.

I do wish a machine like this had been available to me 20 to 30 years ago. I would be using it to make money!

Reactions: MEBCWD
#13 ·
Bob that is a great outcome. It would look nice in an entryway.

I have thought about making hand mirrors with small etchings around the wood frame and looking at this it might even be nice to etch a small flower in the mirror at the edge or even an etched ring of flowers around the edge.

Reactions: MoHawk
#14 ·
I had plans to make a couple of hand mirrors as Christmas presents until I checked the price of a 5" round mirror. The cheapest I could find was $127 for 4. I need to find some mirror at a Thrift Shop and cut them myself.

Reactions: TenGees
#15 ·
Amazon has 12 for $22. Don't know if they'd be heavy enough, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.