Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if some of you remember I've been looking at either the Bosch 1617 at Lowes or the Rigid that they have at HD. Both of them combo fixed/plunge and each selling for $199.99. Also I was looking at some smaller router tables from the likes of Ryobi and Bosch.

Saturday I went to the store The Woodcraft and they were having a good sale on Freud Router and table together. Regular price was $599 and it was marked down to $399.

The table in the combo is a RTS5300 and it seems very nice with an awesome fence system. The router in the combo was an FT3000VCE with 3 1/4 HP rating and is a plunge router.

Here is copy/past link to Freud FT3000VCE Router: Freud Tools - FT3000VCE 3-1/4 HP Variable Speed Plunge Router

Here is copy/paste link to Freud RTS5300 Router Table: Freud Tools - RTS5300 Precision Router<br />Table System w/ Router

Here is link to The Woodcraft page where it has the sale advertisement: Freud RTS5300 Router & Router Table Kit

So, did I make the right choice here???? I paid about $50-$70 more than what I was planning but getting a 3-1/4 HP over a 2-1/4 HP and a heck of a nicer table at the same time I couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A lot of your concerns are preferential matters, I think. But generally speaking, if you are planning to do a lot of table-mounted routing, 3+HP is better than 2+HP.

You can certainly use either in a table, and with big bits- but it's less work for the bigger machine.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Marcus,
Whether or not you made the right purchase is strictly your decision. It all depends on how you will use it. As you learn to use your new toy, er, tool you will be more able to gauge what you do or do not like about it. Be sure to let us know what YOU think after you have used it for a while.

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Hi Marcus,

I fully agree with the 1st two responders. These items as with so many tools are a matter of how you will use them and preference in your methods of working.

Look forward to hearing how you like it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess I was a little too dramatic in that original post. It was just the fact that while I was there another customer said that he wonders at times about Freud tools. Guess I'll just have to find out...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I don't have a Freud router, but I do have a Freud biscuit jointer. It's pretty robust and well-made, and also has good ergonomics. I don't think you made a bad choice.

How have you been liking it so far?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts