Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to rout a 3/4 plywood edge with a Bosch 84436M (bullet), but I also need to true-square rout a rabbet edge (on two pieces in the middle of which will eventually be glued narrow cross pieces.

Am trying to figure out which routing to do first. The true center of the bullet bit is a bit below the rabbet bit's bearing. My initial thought is to rabbet first, but I'm uncertain, and I'd just assume avoid having to experiment since it's a little bit of a project to remount router on table (I'd rather only do that once for this little project).

Thank you thank you thank you,
Newbie Marc

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Marc

Not to sure what you are trying to do,but it sounds like you want to but a slot in after the bull nose is in place, they make many types of router bits for that type of job..how about a small drawing of what you want to end up with..

Bosch 84436M Bull Nose Bit 1/2" Rad. 1/2" Shk. (Super)

With bit below you can take out the bearing and put in a slot cutter in the center..
1 PC 1/2" SH Double Corner Round Assembly Router Bit - eBay (item 140397934629 end time Apr-15-10 10:42:38 PDT)

======

I'm going to rout a 3/4 plywood edge with a Bosch 84436M (bullet), but I also need to true-square rout a rabbet edge (on two pieces in the middle of which will eventually be glued narrow cross pieces.

Am trying to figure out which routing to do first. The true center of the bullet bit is a bit below the rabbet bit's bearing. My initial thought is to rabbet first, but I'm uncertain, and I'd just assume avoid having to experiment since it's a little bit of a project to remount router on table (I'd rather only do that once for this little project).

Thank you thank you thank you,
Newbie Marc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BJ,

Being inexperienced with this site, I'm on my 3rd effort to reply back to you (of course I didn't bother to save a copy of my last two reply efforts, so maybe I'm getting more practiced at describing things).

I made a simple drawing of the routing result I'm aiming for, below another drawing I'd made a while ago. The older drawing's a rough picture of the end product, which will essentially be almost a quarter-round, where the sides and underneath connecting pieces are 3/4" ply and the "top" is 1/4" x 2" stock maple slats.

The edges of the slats need to sit into the notches I'd ~been~ thinking of effecting with a rabbet bit, but the other sides of the plywood pieces needs to be rounded essentially the way I'll be getting full un-notched edges treated with the bullet bit.

The simple drawing shows a side of the plywood with an edge partly rounded with bullet bit and 3/8" from top of ply (on other side from bullet rounding), there'll be the notch I'd been thinking of effecting via rabbet bit.

Thanks loads for any further thoughts you have. I'm fine with sticking to my two-part (bullet then rabbet bit) way of doing this unless that will more likely make a mess.

I'm all for learning,m but I also think I'd do well to lessen my appetite for buying more bits!

Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Marc

Now I see what you are trying to do...If I was going to do I would use the Bosch bit and than use a rabbit bit but use the fence on the router table to control the rabbit cut setting, using the Bosch bit on the plywood help keep it from ripping out the edges but use a skew angle rabbit bit to keep the plywood from ripping out the edges and a back up push block ...plywood is just nasty stuff ...to get a clean edge on..a dado blade on the table saw may work better than a router bit on the edges.. :) or more than one pass with a plywood blade...sneak up on it...thing...

=======

Hi BJ,

Being inexperienced with this site, I'm on my 3rd effort to reply back to you (of course I didn't bother to save a copy of my last two reply efforts, so maybe I'm getting more practiced at describing things).

I made a simple drawing of the routing result I'm aiming for, below another drawing I'd made a while ago. The older drawing's a rough picture of the end product, which will essentially be almost a quarter-round, where the sides and underneath connecting pieces are 3/4" ply and the "top" is 1/4" x 2" stock maple slats.

The edges of the slats need to sit into the notches I'd ~been~ thinking of effecting with a rabbet bit, but the other sides of the plywood pieces needs to be rounded essentially the way I'll be getting full un-notched edges treated with the bullet bit.

The simple drawing shows a side of the plywood with an edge partly rounded with bullet bit and 3/8" from top of ply (on other side from bullet rounding), there'll be the notch I'd been thinking of effecting via rabbet bit.

Thanks loads for any further thoughts you have. I'm fine with sticking to my two-part (bullet then rabbet bit) way of doing this unless that will more likely make a mess.

I'm all for learning,m but I also think I'd do well to lessen my appetite for buying more bits!

Marc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.