Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently setting up a CNC router in my shop to be able to rout out some insulation paper that we used to cut on a giant shear. The reason for this move was to control the amount of time to be able to cut a part that would have internal and external contours all using one machine.

i have tried all bits in both climb and conventional cuts with single pass and multi pass parameters the problem is the edges of this paper are always frayed and the MDF is compacted and forced underneath the paper creating air space beneath the sheet. This happens with up cut, straight cut and down cut variations.. we need to reduce the clean up due to the repeatability and safety of the operators. We can use a belt sander but ultimately we would like a finished product to leave the router with out using a secondary process for clean ups.

The setup....
Laguna router 4x8 bed vacuum suction through MDF board.
Varying thicknesses of insulation paper that is not comparable to any other paper I have used and is not able to be easily identified to general public.
The best comparison is to say its a high density wood pulp with laminated pieces of a wood pulp style paper attached to the top as well as the bottom
Down cut spiral bits with a vacuum housing around to pull out chips and debris.
Compression bits
upcut bits
straight flute bits
climb cutting as well as conventional cutting
contour cutting, NOT pocket cutting

Feeds and speeds...
Again, i have tried all bits in both climb and conventional cuts with single pass and multi pass parameters the problem is the edges of this paper are always frayed and the MDF is compacted and forced underneath the paper creating air space beneath the sheet.

8000 rpm @ 25ipm
10000 rpm @ 25ipm
12000 rpm @ 25ipm
14000 rpm @ 25ipm
16000 rmp @25ipm
18000 rpm @25ipm

8000 rpm @ 50 ipm
10000 rpm @ 50 ipm
12000 rpm @ 50 ipm
14000 rpm @ 50 ipm
16000 rmp @ 50 ipm
18000 rpm @ 50 ipm

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
You might need a pressure foot for your spindle. Another thought, have you checked into drag knives? I'm not sure if it would work in your application but you might look into them to see if one would work for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.