Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand what direction I am supposed to move the work in relation to a table-mounted router. The bit rotates counter-clockwise. I think I am supposed to move the work counter-clockwise as well. So if I have a straight piece, like part of a picture frame, and want to round it over, I would push it away from me on the left side of the bit but pull it toward me on the right side. Right? Wrong? When cutting a slot or dado where both sides of the bit are cutting, what is the right direction? And how does all this translate when the router is hand-held?

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Drick, with your work on the table in front of the bit you would pass it from right to left. When free hand routing you would go from left to right. Remember this flips the bit and reverses the rotation of the cutter. To rout a dado clamp your straight edge guide on top of where you want your slot and rout from left to right since it is free hand.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Bob and Rick did an email hint a while back that might help in addition to what Mike told you. This is a common problem for people getting started in routing and I have even seen people you have used routers for years doing it wrong.

http://www.routerworkshop.com/direction.html

Hope this helps

Ed

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi: You have it right on the direction for table mounted router. on hand held when routing an edge you move the router from left to right. direstion isn't critical when cutting on both sides of a bit, for instance when using a spiral bit to cut a slot.

Woodnut65

1 - 4 of 4 Posts