Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there Fraternity.

Just a quick one for our UK Readers.

Went into B&Q last Wednesday, because as you guys know that’s pensioner day when all old wood workers like myself go along to get our 10% off.

Now I was standing in the queue, behind an elderly lady in her late 70’s and she handed over a pair of gloves to the girl assistant and was told the price. The lady stated that she had forgotten to take off the 10%. No, the girl told her that item is omitted. Confused she asked what’s omitted, she enquired.
Oh, didn’t you know your Wed 10% club card is for gardening items only as from today. The lady pointed to the gloves and stated, look they are gardening gloves. Yes, they are omitted as well.

The lady was as totally confused as I was at this point. But didn’t give up. She asked the girl to give her a verbal list of all the omitted gardening items. Oh no I couldn’t she returned, the list is too long.

Undeterred the lady tried a different tack. Ok, what is included in the gardening she enquired. Fencing and fence posts came the reply.

The woman was beat, lifted her omitted gloves and left.

I was rather smug at this point as I had clutched in my hand a trade card which gives me discount and confidently handed it over.

We don’t accept that any more on individual items. You have to spend £250 to get a discount.

Smugness wiped from once smug face I left and dumped both my trade card and pensioners trade card in the bin on the way out.

Now while in the store on Wed what you do notice is, that compared to the other week days it is packed as it was today with older generation buyers. Mon Tue etc it is empty, but not Wed. I said to myself on going out I wonder what Wed will be like when news of this gets around.

I remember when I was working our neighbour used to drag his father down on Wed just to get a bit of discount.

After returning home I tried to analyse the thinking of the B&Q executives who thought this was the way to go. Now this store isn’t cheap and I would expect there to be at least 50% on goods, so a 10% discount on one day of the week to encourage shoppers in on an otherwise slack day was I thought an enterprising sales idea.

If like me you go shopping you will notice that most of the large department stores are not busy through the week and rely on the weekend to boost takings, so getting punters in through the week with this discount scheme I thought was a no brainer. Apparently not.

I then turned my mind to an imaginary B&Q executive meeting, where they all sat around a great big executive table. Where order of the day was cost cutting and suggesting new innovative ways to bring this about. Now let’s call him Jim the junior executive, who pipes up with, I know how to save 10%. Go ahead Jim says the Chairperson. Well let’s do away with the discount scheme, automatic 10% saving on Wed. A round of applause ensues. Great idea says the Chairman, implement it with immediate effect.
Now sitting at the far end of the really long table is Dave, who is thinking to himself, wont that devastate our Wed sales figures and hesitantly raises his hand, and states the bleeding obvious outcome.

Dave was demoted to a forklift driver in a warehouse overlooking a disused land fill site, and Jim now has his own corner office on the 56-floor overlooking the Houses of Parliament.

As for me on Wed in B&Q, there is now plenty of staff available to see to my every need.

Colin
B&Q
Scotland

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Bummer, especially with no advance notice. It is times like that when I change where I shop.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Our local grocery store did away with their Wednesday 5% senior discount......
There was a lot of gray hair in the store that day ..... No more ....
Would be interested to see how much business they lost ....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Our local B&Q closed recently ; not that I was affected particularly , as I am banned in there. Last time I went in one of the assistants asked if I wanted decking , luckily I was able get a good solid punch in first .........

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Our local B&Q closed recently ; not that I was affected particularly , as I am banned in there. Last time I went in one of the assistants asked if I wanted decking , luckily I was able get a good solid punch in first .........
Heard one similar about Black & Decker lol

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
One of the girls my kids went went to high school with kicked one of their male cousins in the gonads. She became known as the "Black and Decker pecker wrecker" after that. Hopefully that isn't considered too offensive. Otherwise I have to consider banning myself for a short period of time.

Reactions: DaninVan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts