Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PC18B battery on my Porter Cable drill will not charge. When I learned that a replacement battery was available as a Lithium Ion, I learned that the NiCd charger will not work, so I ordered a "multi-chemistry" charger. Now I just learned that the PC18BLX battery (the LI version of the PC18B NiCd) is discontinued. The drill is in great shape and hasn't been used that much. Does anyone have a suggestion for locating a PC18BLX or equivalent? I've search Amazon and eBay without much success (except for the $200 versions.)

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
And that, folks, is why I avoid battery powered tools like the plague. Not being mean, Mike, but I've just heard this same scenario so many times. Somebody has to hold the Manufacturers feet to the fire; abandoning past purchasers like that should be illegal.
You're a Patent Attorney. Is there no way you can make Porter Cable do the right thing (credit against a new Bosch drill... ;) )

·
Registered
575 Posts
Have you checked into getting it rebuilt? I am on the other side, I love all my battery tools and man have batteries come a long way in my years in construction.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Mike if the battery is defective, broken wire or bad cell, then it has to be replaced but if the chemical in the batteries has gone inert then they can sometimes be rejuvenated by freezing them for a couple of days.

Some battery shops can rebuild your battery with new cells but not much cheaper than the original. I've also seen battery packs on ebay to do it yourself but you have to pay close attention to the way they are packed and wired in the original and be able to solder connections from one to the next. I haven't tried it but there may be a member or two who have.

I'm like Dan, I keep my battery powered tools to a minimum. I find I need a drill/driver and I needed a new one recently and I decided on the new Milwaukee 18v Li ion brushless drill. What I've seen about this and the 12v tools makes me believe that Milwaukee will be keeping them in production for some time to come. The drill it replaced was a 19.2 v Sears which gave me excellent service but the same issue as you have now. One other brand that I suspect will be around for a while is the Ryobi system where they are using the same battery for many different tools. I suspect that it will be around for a while because of the effort they are putting into it. Having one battery for that many tools should keep demand for them up which is what insures continued production. I would avoid any maker who has tools with 6 or different battery sizes and shapes. Those are almost obsolete by the time you buy them.

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found someone on eBay who rebuilds these battery packs, but it's not clear whether he can remake a NiCd into an LI, which would be optimum.

One of the worst parts about getting old is constantly encountering the word, "discontinued." It's really aggravating at times.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can't help with the battery but it may be more of a porter cable problem in recent years they have not kept many replacement parts in inventory, seem to want you to buy a new tool.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
In my area stores called Batteries Plus rebuilds batteries as well as sell new ones might be worth a try.

Reactions: jw2170

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
We have a specialty battery shop in town that can rebuild them. I have all 18v DeWalt tools and really love them, so I will buy a few extra packs, then eventually have them rebuilt. By then I'll be pushing up daisies or not up to using them anymore. Rebuild would be my choice.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Monumental

"One of the worst parts about getting old is constantly encountering the word, "discontinued." It's really aggravating at times."
-Mike

Hey! I want that for my epitaph, 'DISCONTINUED' :)

>:)

·
Registered
Theo
6,932 Posts
And that, folks, is why I avoid battery powered tools like the plague.
Totally agree. My sons do use cordless tools, but they are in heating & air, and refrigeration, and often work in places where there is no power available, except for the batteries in their tools. That is an exception I can see, and agree with; but for myself, I do have access to power, and only have corded tools. I buy a power tool, and I'm done. No charger to worry about, no having to remember to charge batteries, no buying battery replacements, none of that.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
749 Posts
Now that I have a plug right at my workbench so I can plug a drill in without using an extension cord I started using my plug in tools again. I have sold off a few of my battery power tools. I even use an old corded drill because it can be faster to plug in than using a battery version when it is not charged or you need to check it first before you can start.

I still use my Dewalt 18 volt driver drill. The 18 volt is NiCad and the battery pack is easy to rebuild. I also like the balance.

I use 28 volt for the Sawzall. I thought 18 volt was lacking for me. The 28 volt drill I tried was too powerful and heavy so I got rid of it. I sold my 28 volt skillsaw as it was not up to a corded version. And now days I tend to use a table saw any way. I like the 28 volt SDS milwaukee rotary hammer drill for punching holes in cement. It works well.

I am not sure they can rebuild the Lithium ION battery packs for some of the new tools. So if you are looking for longevity you might want to stay with NiCad battery packs. I have not found anybody which can rebuild the 28 volt Lithium ION battery packs.

The only portability I need now days is my drill driver and my sawzall. I love my sawzall for trimming trees. It is a lot easier than a small chain saw. Plus you can cut at ground level in the dirt with the sawzall whereas a chain saw chain will dull real quick in the dirt.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I noticed that Sears 19.2 volt tools line is dwindling and the price of the batteries is higher now. I have 2 drills, right angle drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, work light, cutout tool, small shop vac, hedge trimmer and weedeater. I will probably rebuild the batteries if they stop selling the tools. I did work in a industry that we worked where there times when we did not have access to power so this was a great solution.

I do think they should still sell batteries for the tools after they discontinue a line (at reasonable prices) because we backed them by purchasing the tools so they should back us by providing batteries so we can use them or at least give us a big discount on replacing the tools they made obsolete.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have a Ryobi tool set that I got several years ago. I got the Li Ion batteries to replace the original batteries. I have a corded drill but it doesn't have the torque to drive screws like the Ryobi. I have five old batteries. Will try freezing them as this would give me eight batteries! It might pay to have someone rebuild them if the original is not available. Considering this myself or rebuilding it myself. After all, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I found someone on eBay who rebuilds these battery packs, but it's not clear whether he can remake a NiCd into an LI, which would be optimum.

One of the worst parts about getting old is constantly encountering the word, "discontinued." It's really aggravating at times.
As long as they don't label you "discontinued"

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
"One of the worst parts about getting old is constantly encountering the word, "discontinued." It's really aggravating at times."
-Mike

Hey! I want that for my epitaph, 'DISCONTINUED' :)

>:)
Love it...soooo much better than "gone"... teehee...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discontinued- a model that can't be replaced?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I noticed that Sears 19.2 volt tools line is dwindling and the price of the batteries is higher now. I have 2 drills, right angle drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, work light, cutout tool, small shop vac, hedge trimmer and weedeater. I will probably rebuild the batteries if they stop selling the tools. I did work in a industry that we worked where there times when we did not have access to power so this was a great solution.

I do think they should still sell batteries for the tools after they discontinue a line (at reasonable prices) because we backed them by purchasing the tools so they should back us by providing batteries so we can use them or at least give us a big discount on replacing the tools they made obsolete.
They should have spare batteries but doesn't mean they do or will. I have seen some 19.2v batteries on ebay Mike for some decent prices. There are several different model numbers and I don't know how many sub out to each other. If you check out each listing sometimes you find one with all the sub models too.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: jw2170
1 - 20 of 34 Posts