Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Fascinating. I was a journalist for some time and it was during the time of typewriters. In the newsroom of my first daily, we all had very old Royals. We beat the hell out of them. Downstairs we had hot type machines (Lineotypes) which worked by hitting a key, which dropped a metal mold into a form, into which hot lead was injected. A line of type was formed and then physically stacked up to form a column. Way cool old process that lasted about 100 years. Then came computers.

We had a police reporter named Steve Eddy who kept a bottle of booze in his desk, who typed with his index fingers. Only reporterI ever knew who could talk to the cop shop watch commander while typing the story out at the same time. He's also an old fart now, but he was like someone from those old movie reporters. A real character. Fun video.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I remember my first typewriter when I started college in 1965. It was an Olympia manual typewriter and you needed the correction paper to type over mistakes. The ribbon was on a spool. When you got to the then, you reversed it and started over. When I went to seminary in 1974, I got a Sears electric typewriter that had the cartridges that inserted in the side. You had black cartridge and a white correction cartridge.
Edit: Remembered: Had a fellow seminary student who could type 90 words per minute! He had a part-time job at an insurance company typing claims. Wonder why!

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
I was fine this morning but I'm suddenly feeling really old.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Harry - funny!

·
Registered
155 Posts