Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just finished up my new portable router table that I am using with my workmate bench. There are no pictures to be had yet but it is 24x36"x3/4"melamine top with holes drilled for the fixed base which are counter sunk with a forstner bit. 5mmx1" screws hold the base in place. 2 8x3"x5/8 cleats on the bottom let me clamp the table in the workmate jaws. I have not got a chance to use it yet but it feels really solid. Have not taken a wack at the fence yet but I think its going to be real simple

Happy Routing

Don

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it Don. I’m kicking myself for not scratch building one , as there’s some terrific builds here

·
Registered
31 Posts
cannot wait to see the images, just the thing i was thinking of doing , and using with a dewalt stand i have or on the workman seems sensible too

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really looking forward to seeing this. I've had a router for far too long without ever fitting a bit in it, let alone using it. I too was looking at my Work mate and thinking "router table", but not got round to researching how to go about it. (My lathe is too much of a distraction!)

Well done, Don.

Richard

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Hi Don, Nice to make something that works with the Work Mate. I keep my Lyon miter trimmer on it, but it would make a nice, small table. Easy to remove and store. I replaced the 1617 in my big table with a Triton, so I could use the Bosch in a small table. Just need to put in some sort of spacer as wide as the router mount so I can lock the top in place. Always like looking at pictures.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pictures

Hello again

I took some quick pictures this morning. Sorry it took so long.
#1 Workmate with jaws open
#2 Router table with bit height adjustment
#3 Table bottom showing the fixed router base and cleats
#4 Table installed in workmate

i dont know why they are 90 degrees off. Sorry about that

There are 2 things that I may change if I do a v2. First it maybe a little big and cumbersome. I think I can safely cut 6 inches of the width for a final size of 18x36x3/4. I will have to see when I use it. The second thing is changing bits. You pretty much have to disassemble the thing to change its. Have to think on that one.

Any comments or criticisms are always welcome

Don

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
A few others have used that solution for a portable router table and it's a great solution for needing portability or if you are pressed for room. Some of the others I've seen had cleats underneath that were installed just shy of the fully opened width of the Workmate and that way the table could be opened up against them to stop any play in that direction. I don't know if yours is solid enough without them but they would be easily added on if needed.

Reactions: Snowkiwi

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Chuck. There are 2 cleats underneath(pic 3) that the jaws of the workmate tighten against. Going to work ok. I think

regards

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
One way to change bits and clamp router once set for height, might be a router table plate where you lift it out to set the height and clamp the router, also to change bits. My first commercial made table was that way. It is a long reach the way it is now. If you used a removable plate you would also gain 1/2" in height adjustment too.

Another thought is you might cut out the center similar to a plate and install some cleats underneath to hold it in place from dropping,and letting the weight of the router keep it in place, then lift it out to set the height and lock the clamp.
Just a suggestion.
Herb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Don, I wonder if you extended the two cleats, so that the Router sits more to the outside of the Workmate, you might get easier access for changing out bits. If you end up cutting 6" off the width, it might be possible?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't want to purchase another router base so I made a mount for my motor. This is for a version of the original Stumpy Nubbs horizontal router table. I confess I haven't used it yet but plan to clamp it in a Rockwell Jaw Horse for use.

REAR VIEW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts