Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the best category for this,...I had a small Harbor Freight Mill for awhile, didn't use it enough to keep the money out of circulation, so I decided to make a wooden X-Y table for my vintage bench drill press.
I have done some "wood milling" with it, as well as sanding parts feeding it with the cross feed, and cutting arcs with the optional rotary table. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,066 Posts
That's a great idea Jim and with a custom designed router table to accommodate it could have lots of uses, especially in the X direction for mortice and tenon joints. Well done.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Well thought out. However, IMHO you should only use it for light work, as the bearings in drill presses are not designed for lateral pressure.
Normal motion in a drill press is up and down, which is what the bearings are designed for. Milling machines use bearings suited to side pressures.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will post photos clarifying the interconnection between the X and Y slides. basically it consists of a dovetailed hardwood slide, in the center is a 10mm dia steel furniture connector (1/4-20 threaded) used for knock down assembly.
My old Delta Milwaukee drill press has much stouter contruction in the head than do most of the modern Chinese imports. And I use slow feed rates, and am not likely to mill steel. But I do like to push the envelope and see what breaks, then address that:moil:
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well thought out. However, IMHO you should only use it for light work, as the bearings in drill presses are not designed for lateral pressure.
Normal motion in a drill press is up and down, which is what the bearings are designed for. Milling machines use bearings suited to side pressures.

Cheers

Peter
I would imagine if he doesn't try to hog out a 1" deep slot at one time but instead does that in steps it would probably be alright.

A little off topic (but somewhat related) but that is one of the reasons I have hesitated on using drum sanders designed for drill presses. I have a benchtop Ryobi drill press, and was wondering if it could handle one of these: Rubber Sanding Drum Set

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Paulo

For a little bit, the dress press is not the same as a mill :)

========

A little off topic (but somewhat related) but that is one of the reasons I have hesitated on using drum sanders designed for drill presses. I have a benchtop Ryobi drill press, and was wondering if it could handle one of these: Rubber Sanding Drum Set[/quote]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Somebody needs to tell this guy he can't do that!
Milling instruction video: Milling on the Drill Press by Jose Rodriguez

When using it for stock removal, I make shallow passes, about .030" deep. When using it for drum sanding the ends of stock, about the same. One place where it is most useful is accurate drilling,...I clamp a digital caliper on it, (or 2).
I have used a rechargeable drill with a hex socket to power feed it when routing wood, it's a bit over stimulating.

Why didn't I just buy a crossfeed vise? X-axis range, weight, accuracy of adjusting ways on Chinese vises looks pretty dodgy, and I remember seeing old articles for making wooden lathes and cross feed vises and couldn't resist the bug. Everything came from the local hardware store, mostly 1/4-20 fasteners and threaded rod, plus a couple of those special "bed nuts". I don't know what they are actually called.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,066 Posts
Somebody needs to tell this guy he can't do that!
Milling instruction video: Milling on the Drill Press by Jose Rodriguez

When using it for stock removal, I make shallow passes, about .030" deep. When using it for drum sanding the ends of stock, about the same. One place where it is most useful is accurate drilling,...I clamp a digital caliper on it, (or 2).
I have used a rechargeable drill with a hex socket to power feed it when routing wood, it's a bit over stimulating.

Why didn't I just buy a crossfeed vise? X-axis range, weight, accuracy of adjusting ways on Chinese vises looks pretty dodgy, and I remember seeing old articles for making wooden lathes and cross feed vises and couldn't resist the bug. Everything came from the local hardware store, mostly 1/4-20 fasteners and threaded rod, plus a couple of those special "bed nuts". I don't know what they are actually called.
I have a mill/drill which is a converted Chinese multispeed drill press, I do light milling on brass and aluminium, whilst the quill bearings are quite hefty, the shaft isn't hollow and so a draw bar can't be fitted, but for wood, I really don't see a problem. For heavy milling I use the metal lathe with the milling slide.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,784 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
H7979 5-1/2" x 12" Compound Slide Table
G5757 Compound Slide Table

The drill press that have a round table top will rotate. so no need to add a "rotary" fixture, it's built in.

=========
Throw in $14-$16 for shipping plus another $20 for a drill press vise and shipping and it starts adding up (obviously for some that's nothing, for others that's alot). I applaud Sparky's inventiveness.

I will throw out another option if it's alright though. In a Popular Woodworking article, they show one of the compound slide table you posted and then show how to mod a cross sliding vise to save money.

Basically you disassemble a vise, drill and tap two 1/4-20 holes, and re-assemble it and you have a better vise. In that article it's not for milling though, they use it for making mortises. Make a hole, slide the piece over, and make another hole.

The Grizzly vise the used in that article opens to 3 3/4", but the Harbor Freight vise is assembled the exact same way and will work if you choose to make one.

5" Cross Slide Vise
6" Cross Slide Vise

Popular Woodworking 3-D Mortising Upgrade

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.