Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Many people are faced with space restrictions in their shop. Using a full sized 6” jointer eats up floor space and they are heavy. Bench top jointers have been around a long time but they always seemed under powered and noisy until now. Not anymore.

Cutech 01.JPG

Introducing the Cutech 40160H-CT. Cutech launched in July of 2015 with a selection of thickness planers and the 40160H-CT jointer. While it looks similar to other brands of bench top jointers there are some very good features that set it apart from the rest.

Cutech 02.JPG

The 40160H-CT has lightweight aluminum tables so it is easy to move when needed. The new aluminum cutter head features 12 inserts staggered in pairs for helical cutting. The inserts are high speed steel and carbide is available as an option. Helical cutting results in smoother cuts and since only two of the inserts are contacting the wood at a time it feels much more powerful and is quieter than other brands. The push pads have a very good gripping surface and are comfortable in the hand. A 2-1/4” standard sized dust port is included. The controls are clearly marked and easy to adjust. The power switch has a removable safety key.

Cutech 03.JPG

It all sounds very good but how well does it perform? Out of the box assembly was simple and the instructions were clearly written. A quick wipe down of the tables and cutter head with mineral spirits followed with a wax or surface protectant. Ready to cut. I tested the jointer on redwood, red oak and a South American mystery hardwood with a dense grain. (This is wood used as a shipping crate for granite slabs and it has pink and yellow hues to it) The photo of the results speak for themselves. This jointer has plenty of power and does a great job.

Cutech 04.JPG

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,784 Posts
Nice review, Mike! I can't believe there is a helical cutterhead in a little jointer.

All these improvements aside, the problem with benchtop jointers still remains the short infeed and outfeed tables. I had a 4" King Seely that cut great, but anything over 3 feet long was difficult to handle.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Doug, no question that long tables are easier to work with but this jointer is the perfect solution for people with limited space/small shops. It would be easy to take to a job site too. It performs better than my full sized 6" jointer; it is much quieter too. In addition to cleaner cuts it is easier to replace the inserts. A nail can ruin a jointer blade but odds are it would only damage one insert which could be quickly reversed or replaced to get you back in action in a minute or two.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Al, At this time the price is $289.99 and yes, they ship to Canada. In fact they are willing to ship anywhere.(I checked) This price is $50 less than what my local HD is selling the Delta bench top jointer with straight knives for. My understanding is this is an introductory price. Here is a link to the web site:

Model 40160H-CT

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks Mike,

I contacted Cutech this morning. They don't sell a version with carbide blades already installed. A pack of 10 carbide blades runs $60US and the jointer uses 12 blades so you would need to purchase 2 sets. The screws are the same for both HSS and carbide blades. I guess buying two sets is OK since you would want to have spares on hand anyway. A set of 10 HSS blades is $40US.

I have an 25 year old Delta 37-190 with HSS knives that has served me well over the years but I am seriously considering this option since my shop is my 2 car garage. The wife and neighbors would appreciate the reduced noise and I sure could use the extra space taken up by the Delta. And this is a lot less money than upgrading the Delta to a spiral cutter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Al, At this time the price is $289.99 and yes, they ship to Canada. In fact they are willing to ship anywhere.(I checked) This price is $50 less than what my local HD is selling the Delta bench top jointer with straight knives for. My understanding is this is an introductory price. Here is a link to the web site:

I just went to the site and asked if they would ship to Alaska where I live. The response was no. They utilize UPS (which we have ) but the rep refused to facilitate. I question their willingness to ship anywhere

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve, Doug the company owner is a forum member and I contacted him about this. Doug will respond to you about this.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
I have a 6 inch Powermatic jointer with a fairly long table that I really like, but I don't keep it in my shop out back. It lives in the garage with my planer. I considered the smaller jointer at the time. Seems to me that the shorter outfeed bed would be fine if you were jointing pre-cut rather than full length pieces. And, that jointing smaller pieces complicates planing multiple pieces to exact and equal thickness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve,

This is Doug Davenport the managing partner at Cutech LLC. We currently have our website setup to only handle UPS shipment to the lower 48 states due to we occasionally run promotions that include free shipping in the lower 48 states. We can manually handle shipping to Alaska and Hawaii as well as Canada. Sorry for the confusion Mike was not aware of that.

Also check our website tomorrow for our Fall Specials, on our 40300H-CT and this jointer Model 40160H-CT. We are offering free shipping in the lower 48 States and for you guys in Alaska, Hawaii and Canada contact us via email or calling customer service for our UPS shipping rates. Thanks

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To further clarify Doug is speaking of Mike the tech rep you spoke with Steve.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good timing on this Mike/Doug. My Delta bench top 6" is somehow out of adjustment and slight bow in the center of the board happens. Even without the bow, the noise is ugly, just like all knife jointers and fixing that would be awesome.

This size (bench top) jointer is not for every purpose. The rule of thumb for a jointer is that the maximum length of wood should be equal or less than 2 times the length of the jointer, so my 30" (infeed thru outfeed) Delta should be capable of a 60" board. I have found that 48" can be counted on for good results. Now, floor mounted 4 hp cast iron beasts can have additional infeed and outfeed added.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,835 Posts
Packaging

Steve,

This is Doug Davenport the managing partner at Cutech LLC. We currently have our website setup to only handle UPS shipment to the lower 48 states due to we occasionally run promotions that include free shipping in the lower 48 states. We can manually handle shipping to Alaska and Hawaii as well as Canada. Sorry for the confusion Mike was not aware of that.
@Doug
I have quick question,why would Cutech package replacement blades in groups of 10 when the head holds 12 ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
John,

All I can tell you is that is how they are packaged and come from the factory. I'm guessing that the plastic containers are an off the shelf item from their source and that's how they buy them. Never hurts to have a few extra if you are like me I tend to wear one side out before the other so don't have to replace all of them at once.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have a couple of questions!

Are these tools re-badged Steel City Tool stock that was left over? If so, what about parts and service after the stock is depleted.? I noticed that the link to the parts available only lists part for the planers and nothing for the jointer.

If these are re-badged SCT stock, then I would hesitate to purchase these tools. I was getting ready to jump on a SCT planer just before they announced the closure. I am so glad that I did not waste my money.

I talked to a SCT retailer and they did not have any notice themselves of the closure. In addition, SCT would not supply them with replacement parts to service their customers. So, what are we in store for with Cutech when the stock depletes. I did a search for Cutech on the Home Depot site and it shows a Cutech jointer, which is not the same model, as discontinued. So, is Home Depot carrying Cutech tools or not?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@Doug
I have quick question,why would Cutech package replacement blades in groups of 10 when the head holds 12 ?
I would think an aluminum head and steel screws may become an issue from electrolysis/galvanic reactions at some point in time especially since no repair parts are listed on the website......
the 10 count cutters remind me of BB blister pack packaging...

tell me more about the motor...
Direct or belt drive???...

a bit of discrepancy....

At about 40 lbs, and with a 120 VOLT 12 AMP motor, it’s tough and easy to transport the job site if necessary. Push blocks and the tools necessary for rotating or replacing the cutter tips are included!

Features

Powerful 10 Amp 120V motor
Helical Cutterhead with 12 HSS Inserts
Fence with 90 to 135 Degree Tilt
Level adjustable beds

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I would think an aluminum head and steel screws may become an issue from electrolysis/galvanic reactions at some point in time especially since no repair parts are listed on the website......
the 10 count cutters remind me of BB blister pack packaging...

tell me more about the motor...
Direct or belt drive???...

a bit of discrepancy....

At about 40 lbs, and with a 120 VOLT 12 AMP motor, it’s tough and easy to transport the job site if necessary. Push blocks and the tools necessary for rotating or replacing the cutter tips are included!

Features

Powerful 10 Amp 120V motor
Helical Cutterhead with 12 HSS Inserts
Fence with 90 to 135 Degree Tilt
Level adjustable beds

Looks like somebody needs to proofread their descriptions.

In looking at the reviews I saw that there were only two reviewers. Both were Five Star ratings. I see that the second reviewer is Doug from Lexington KY. When I first read Mike's review and saw he got a like I checked the persons profile. It was a member named Doug from Lexington KY. Now it turns out to be the Cutech owner/principle. Is the reviewer on the Cutech website the same person?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts