Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted pictures in an earlier post but I wanted to show you where my project has come so far.

I had several broken rafters in a very unhospitable attic. I ended up bringing in a roofing company for the repair of the rafters but first I tried to make the attic more user friendly. I moved much of the insulation in down the middle of the attic out towards the eaves so I could run switched electrical outlets for clamp on lamps for lighting. Plus I added some un-switched outlets for use later down the line. All of my lights are LEDs and the reason for clamp on is so I could move them around as needed.

For a floor I used both 3/4 plywood and OSB. Starting with the plywood as that is what I had on hand and had already been using that for the initial clearing of the insulation.

The roofing carpenters came in last Wednesday and sister-ed up the bad rafters plus jacked most of the sag out of the roof as well as adding additional bracing.

On the exterior, the roofers reroofed the entire house adding a ridge vent and a lower vent down towards the eaves. I'm hopeful this will help cool the attic in the future and make it easier to keep the rest of the house cool as well. Thanks Ten Gees.

To date, I only have 3 note worthy bumps and scrapes on the top of my head being visible really only from above.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I know it wasn't cheap, but it has feel better knowing it got done in a short amount of time. I'm sure you watched them and their equipment and thought "I'd never be able to do that by myself".

Did they have to pull permits? Here, that would fall under roof repair and replacement and not necessary if there was no addition.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
add more insulation to keep cool to defeat heat conductance/radiance into the house...

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Glad they added 2X6's that was too long a span for 2X4's. That strong-back down the center of the span will help immensely, you can always add more kickers under it for a pony wall and sheath it with OSB to wall it off for a storage area down the center. That will become a shearwall then andadd to the full length of the roof support.
Herb

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it wasn't cheap, but it has feel better knowing it got done in a short amount of time. I'm sure you watched them and their equipment and thought "I'd never be able to do that by myself".

Did they have to pull permits? Here, that would fall under roof repair and replacement and not necessary if there was no addition.

John, I don't think they had to pull a permit but I really don't know. When signing the contract I asked about the permit and he said they'd take care of that but maybe he didn't have to, like you just said.

Anyway, I'm happy that's done!

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
Really nice job up there. I agree on more insulation. Looking at the before, I'm amazed that a builder would use a beam with knots all the way across like that. I also like the reinforcements on the edges of the pieces that they kept. I also like the idea of putting up walls for storage space, but make sure the air flow isn't blocked from the soffet vents to the ridge vents. Nice Bryan, and you're probably happy you didn't ahve to do all of it.

·
Registered
Paul
1,859 Posts
Looks much sturdier now, Bryan. Around here it's typically hottest around the end of July. You may have to wait a while to see if the venting helps. Big difference in my experience.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Wasn't it 'whatshisface' who said we've seen the end of snow? ;)
Heh...
Great job, Bryan! I think you hit all the crucial items on the project, without going bankrupt achieving your goal.
Compromise is an art-form. :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Great job, Bryan. Sometimes it's best to bite the bullet and pay a good man to do the job. Avoid the heartache of mistakes and "shoulda dones". Pay the money and move on. I'd load up the insulation (sorry Rick) and feel the benefit in comfort. You've got a lot of room in your attic. Newer houses here have quite high pitched roofs but the space below is full of trusses going every which way. virtually unusable.
Okay, next.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm surprised the didn't cut the angle on the strong back. Will be interesting if that corner crushes a bit when there is a full load of snow on it this winter. That would have been a lot of work had you tried it yourself. I know you are glad it's finished.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts