Router Forums banner

Do you think RouterForums.com should expand past just Routers?

• Yes

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No opinion (doesn't matter to me)

Votes: 2 11.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

If you are unsure of what I mean by this, I'll explain. As you all probably know RouterForums.com is mostly based on just Routers and Router related discussions. The forum was origionally created by myself (Mark Rosendahl) and my dad, Rick Rosendahl (star of Router Workshop). We wanted to develope a community that would help show the variety of uses the Router has. Over the years that RouterForums.com has been around the community has developed a lot. Just today, I asked myself, "why don't we open the forums to a larger user base and more topics", so, now I'm asking you guys, do you think it's a good idea to open RouterForums.com to more woodworking related discussions?

Your input on this is very important, please vote honestly and post any questions or comments if you have them. Thank you very much!

If you vote no and are willing to share your reason why, please do, I would be very interested to know. If you don't want to publically post your reason why you don't think we should expand, feel free to send me an email or private message.

Again, thank you for your vote and your time.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I think this is a post-mortem question - it essentially already has with finishing issues, tool reviews, plans, home improvement (which I just noticed for the first time, by the way), etc - I think it's OK so long as we don't lose sight of our roots, and it can't hardly be helped because there are so many related issues that come into play. However, if you want to expand into cars, gardening or cooking, I'm not up for it. :D
I understand the question but there are already plenty of sites for general woodworking - this one has a unique slant and focus and because of that i think it does better with router related questions - it fills a need.

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gilbear said:
I think this is a post-mortem question - it essentially already has with finishing issues, tool reviews, plans, home improvement (which I just noticed for the first time, by the way), etc - I think it's OK so long as we don't lose sight of our roots, and it can't hardly be helped because there are so many related issues that come into play. However, if you want to expand into cars, gardening or cooking, I'm not up for it.
Yes, I'm aware that we have already sorta branched out, which I think has expanded the community a lot. Although, I'm more curious if everyone agrees on the new forums I just added: http://routerforums.com/announcement.php?f=23

Also, I'm curious to see if everyone agrees on the direct the forums are heading.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i voted yes
because there have been many related questions that arise from doing one thing then another esp. for newbies like me. as long as the forum sticks to woodworking related questions i see no problem. we have some very talented ppl. on here & we all like new ideas but that is part of the learning curve or in some cases a corner.
les.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm going to say "no"... I just can't be on the computer all the time and if we have even more good stuff and get even more people here that will bring more and more posts until it will take 10 or 12 hours a day to read everything. It's just too much of a good thing.

Ed

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I voted no on this, and here is my reasoning:
Router forums is mostly about using and getting the most bang for your buck out of routers. The unique methods used on the show have made it easier for woodworkers to get excellent results. I feel it would be better to concentrate on projects from start to finish; with a router as the key tool. In depth jig building, set up and more discussion on using accessories would benefit members the most.
In addition there is also woodworking.net to consider. Isn't this a better choice for other area's of interest such as turning or carving?
I saw the show on the internet for the first time today, and this leads me to ask: Will there be more shows coming on PBS? I realize it is difficut to come up with new projects. Much time and effort. Expanding is a good idea, I just don't think Router Forums is the place. Needless to say, you wil have my support whichever way you go.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

I would say NO !

If you are asking if the routerforum.com should be come a super Walmart one stop for all, I would say no ,stick with the name ,if you do a quick search on the Net you will see why the name is the key to hits.
And if you are running a forum you want the hits, just the best way to get more info and Members. Like HAL (S.O. 2001) would say, need input.
Plus the new
woodworkingchannel.com will make this site jump in the coming weeks.
Hits coming from the http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/
In short look at the new members and the hits from the 3-25-06 date and up.

Just my 2 cents
Bj :)
-------------------
google below ▼

woodworking forums
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,320,000

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=woodworking+forums&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.answers.com/woodworking&r=67

router woodworking forums

Results 1 - 10 of about 134,000

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=router+woodworking+forums&btnG=Search
Women in Woodworking ▼
http://www.womeninwoodworking.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=1841&enterthread=y

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bobj3 said:

I would say NO !

If you are asking if the routerforum.com should be come a super Walmart one stop for all, I would say no ,stick with the name ,if you do a quick search on the Net you will see why the name is the key to hits.
And if you are running a forum you want the hits, just the best way to get more info and Members. Like HAL (S.O. 2001) would say, need input.
Plus the new
woodworkingchannel.com will make this site jump in the coming weeks.
Hits coming from the http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/
In short look at the new members and the hits from the 3-25-06 date and up.

Just my 2 cents
Bj :)
-------------------
google below ▼

woodworking forums
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,320,000

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=woodworking+forums&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.answers.com/woodworking&r=67

router woodworking forums

Results 1 - 10 of about 134,000

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=router+woodworking+forums&btnG=Search
Women in Woodworking ▼
http://www.womeninwoodworking.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=1841&enterthread=y
After investigating your links, I did notice that RouterForums.com isn't listed there yet. I expect RouterForums.com traffic to increase a lot in the near future. I'm currently installing a new script called, VBSEO, according to customer testimionals, statistics and records, this script will optimize your website. Meaning, search engines will crawl it more often, index your website higher up on the list and increase your traffic by 90%+. I'm very confident that this script will greatly increase traffic on RouterForums.com which will help us further develope the community.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mark
You may want to rework your main web page and use the "router" name so the search eng. can find the site quicker,use the name as many times as you can.
Also you can use software to put name (site) on the all the search eng.that will help.

Just a thought

-----------------------------
meta name="keywords" content="wood central, wood, woodworking, woodworker, cabinetmaking, cabinetmaker, finishing, tools, message boards, plywood, glue, lacquer, tablesaw, jointer, bandsaw, planer, shaper, sandpaper woodworking tools plans cabinets sawmills timber lumber cabinetmaking wood finishing architectural millwork plywood woodworkers machinery tooling kiln components lumbermills panel processing furniture hardwood softwood 32mm face frame raised panel millwork boat building cabinet installation software optimizer forestry wood engineering moulder router table saw planer Woodwork forums,woodwork,woodturning,woodcarving,finishing,polishing,jokes,routers,intarsia,fretsaw,timber,boat building,plans,marquetry,wood,ubeaut,scrollsaw,bandsaw,Triton,Festool,festo,home renovations,handtools,machinery,woodwork books,woodwork tools,woodwork machinery,woodturning advice,woodturning tools, woodturning lathes,woodwork information,woodcarving tools, woodwork pictures,woodturning pictures,woodcarving pictures,Woodworking Australia,ubeaut polishes,ubeaut enterprises,woodwork archives,woodworking archives,woodworking pictures,woodworking plans,woodworking info,woodworking help,woodworking tools,woodworking machinery,turning tools, turning lathes,woodwork clubs,woodworking clubs,woody,woodys,woodies

meta name description" content="RouterForums.com, an online wood working discussion group.
------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I voted "no opinon" because, I agree with, an totally understand the arguements from both sides. One side, this is a forum is for "routers" an it's uses. The other side, there is much information, knowledge an experience brought to this forum by all members. Hence, this is why it's called a "forum".

If one thinks about it, all woodworking tools tie into each other in one way or another.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,788 Posts
I voted "no" because I think the strength of this forum is its focus on one aspect of woodworking. Granted, a lot of other approaches and skills are discussed, but the focus of router woodworking is what makes this forum unique.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I voted yes. I only go to the parts of the forum I have an interest in as it is. If something's added that I have an interest in I'll go. I don't use the home repair, but I might. I rarely read the off-topic section. This post caught my eye but, by and large I'm not interested in birthdays, jokes, and etc. I usually get in check "jigs and fixtures," and "table-mounted routing" for anything of interest and get out. I do scan the last posts for the other sections and if something catches my eye, I'll read it.

If Mark wants more work . . . let him have it. Keeps him off the streeets and out of trouble probably.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just noticed that the count is at 4 "no" yet 5 people have commented that they voted "no".... mmmmmm

Ed

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If Mark wants more work . . . let him have it. Keeps him off the streeets and out of trouble probably.
I wouldn't exactly look at it as more work, but as expanding the RouterForums.com community.

I mean, there isn't going to be any less of a community, there still will be a huge focus on Routers. And the community will remain called, RouterForums.com, although, I'm just looking to broden the future of RouterForums.com to hopefully welcome a wider range of users to share knowledge and assist other woodworkers with their questions.

Atleast I hope that you guys don't feel soo strongly "no" that you aren't willing to continue to participe in the community. It wasn't my intention to direct my long and loyal users away, I'm just looking to expand.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I've seen other forums do exactly what Mark is asking. Expansion, it's always good but it also has drawbacks too. The community grows however bringing in some "unwanted stuff", in which it's the moderator(s) job to deal with anyway.
Voting "no opinon" doesn't constitute as a "no".

At current time, it's 8: yes, 6: no, 2: no opinon.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I voted NO because the more focused the group is the easier it is for me to find those threads that I find of interest.

If I want to discuss other woodworking equipment there a multiple choices.

Let me point out that I think many of the games are a waste of time (for me) yet you manage to separate the games from the router discussions well enough that I don't find myself wasting time.

I've seen a couple of references to the woodworkingchannel.com. How great it is to see the Router Workshop again!!! And as someone said earlier I'll be back here either way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Even though I've only been here for a short time, I replied 'no' because I think focusing is a good thing. I see the other side - certainly routing is limited without other tools and techniques, and you can't separate them completely from one another. But if you lose focus on the main thing, then the whole site is watered down. I have to admit I'm disappointed when I see a bunch of new posts that are word games and so on, instead of substantial router talk. Perhaps there just isn't enough router talk to keep people busy, and expanding would help re-invigorate things. So I'll change my answer to "maybe"

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, because thewoodworkingchannel.com will cause some to drift away if we don't expand our horizons. Neither site can cover everything. I believe we have an excellent forum, however it seems to me that there has been a slight drop in activity in the past few weeks (and I check in here more than once a day..don't tell the boss <grin>.)
steveo

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll make me decision in a few days, first I'm going to let the poll for on for a bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.