Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
616 Posts
just out of curiosity, what is the project and how many linear feet do you have to cut ? and, what will go in the rabbet ?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just out of curiosity, what is the project and how many linear feet do you have to cut ? and, what will go in the rabbet ?
I made a face frame cabinet that will have 3 adjustable shelves that will rest on angled shelf pins ( 2 on each end).
The shelves are plywood wrapped all 4 sides with red oak. I based all dimensions on the Sagulator calculations.
The unfinished shelves are a pretty tight fit captured front to back between the back of the cabinet and the back side of the face frame. I'm going to finish them with stain and poly which will make them even tighter.
I just want to make them a tad smaller all around. The shelves measure 12" Wide X 33 3/4" long.
I could sand the edges, rip a tad off on the table saw, or joint them on my router table.
Another technique I have used is to rabbet 1/2 the height of the edge and then flip the shelf over and use a flush trim bit to remove the other 1/2 of the height. I decided to use this technique but my rabbeting kit doesn't have a bearing that will do a 1/16" rabbet.
My apologies if my answer was overly wordy.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
@JIMMIEM, the rabbet bit that I own that cuts a rabbet 1/16 inch is the Amana Tool miniature bit shown here from the ToolsToday online catalog: Amana Tool MR0101 Miniature 5/16 D Rabbet with 3/16 D Ball Bearing x 1/2 CH x 1/4 Inch SHK Carbide Tipped Router Bit

There are also the larger multi Rabbet bits which have 20 or so interchangeable bearings such as the Amana Superabbet Router Bits - Toolstoday.com - Industrial Quality Carbide Tipped Router Bits plus the bearing 67400 bearing which can be bought by itself or as part of larger sets. 57500 ( 5 bearings) or 16 bearings (67800).
Infinity Cutting Tools sells a similar set Mega-Rabbet Router Bit and Bearing Set

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I made a face frame cabinet that will have 3 adjustable shelves that will rest on angled shelf pins ( 2 on each end).
The shelves are plywood wrapped all 4 sides with red oak. I based all dimensions on the Sagulator calculations.
The unfinished shelves are a pretty tight fit captured front to back between the back of the cabinet and the back side of the face frame. I'm going to finish them with stain and poly which will make them even tighter.
I just want to make them a tad smaller all around. The shelves measure 12" Wide X 33 3/4" long.
I could sand the edges, rip a tad off on the table saw, or joint them on my router table.
Another technique I have used is to rabbet 1/2 the height of the edge and then flip the shelf over and use a flush trim bit to remove the other 1/2 of the height. I decided to use this technique but my rabbeting kit doesn't have a bearing that will do a 1/16" rabbet.
Well Jim you described clearly what you have and what you want. In the middle of reading your post/description I though you did not have other means of trimming a 1/16th and were limited to a hand held router. You mentioned a couple of other ways to do the trimming which you have the tools to use. If you are fixed on using the rabbeting technique instead of taking a 1/16th off all the way around if you had an1/8th inch you could rabbet one long side and one short side. I believe I would opt for the router table and take a 1/16th off al the way around easy peasy and call it done. Your cabinet sounds like it will be really nice and well made when finished. Show us a pic or 2. Good luck!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@JIMMIEM, the rabbet bit that I own that cuts a rabbet 1/16 inch is the Amana Tool miniature bit shown here from the ToolsToday online catalog: Amana Tool MR0101 Miniature 5/16 D Rabbet with 3/16 D Ball Bearing x 1/2 CH x 1/4 Inch SHK Carbide Tipped Router Bit

There are also the larger multi Rabbet bits which have 20 or so interchangeable bearings such as the Amana Suoer Superabbet Router Bits - Toolstoday.com - Industrial Quality Carbide Tipped Router Bits plus the bearing 67400 bearing which can be bought by itself or as part of larger sets. 57500 ( 5 bearings) or 16 bearings (67800).
infinity sells a similar set Mega-Rabbet Router Bit and Bearing Set
Thank You

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

There are also the larger multi Rabbet bits which have 20 or so interchangeable bearings such as the Amana Suoer Superabbet Router Bits - Toolstoday.com - Industrial Quality Carbide Tipped Router Bits plus the bearing 67400 bearing which can be bought by itself or as part of larger sets. 57500 ( 5 bearings) or 16 bearings (67800).
infinity sells a similar set Mega-Rabbet Router Bit and Bearing Set
Thank You

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
Router table and fence set to trim away 1/16 or so, sides and ends would by my choice. Table saw with a couple of dado blades, buried in the fence would also work well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
a bearing store/outlet will likely have the bearing with dimensions you need. just a thought...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts