Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Scrolling through this thread reminds me of the log dog house we built for my son's Lab. We split landscape timbers, screwed them together and lined it with ply wood as "insulation." Shingle roof with chimney and cap. Summer, he would raise the cap on a couple of strips of wood for ventilation. It also had a covered front porch so Hogan could have a place to recline if it was hot. The door was offset so he could curl up in the front corner, out of the wind. Winter had a piece of heavy material over the doorway. We built it over the Memorial Day weekend- three days! When he moved out, it was fun getting it on a utility trailer!
BTW, he went to Lowe's to buy a huge quantity of sheetrock screws. Doing the math, it was cheaper to buy five one-pound boxes than buying a five pound box. How many of us do that? I like the grocery store labels that give the cost per unit- ounces, pounds, etc.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
I'd make the other door very large so you can get in there and vacuum it from time to time. That carpet or even a pooch pillow will get a little ripe over time. I wouldn't want to try to clean through two small openings. And it will also accumulate some spiders and bugs you'll want to sweep out. If you make a large door as if it were a panel with a smaller opening in the door, it should look pretty nice. Get a couple of European hidden hinges for the larger panel so it isn't so visible. My little guy fills me with joy. Really miss him when I travel.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
That is adorable! I bet the little gal loves it! I might have to try to build the same for my pup...
Hi noticed this is your second post, so I'd like to welcome you to the Forum. Dogs are family, arent' they. We have a little guy, not a yapper, but sure a loving fella.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi noticed this is your second post, so I'd like to welcome you to the Forum. Dogs are family, arent' they. We have a little guy, not a yapper, but sure a loving fella.
Dogs are absolutely family (and much better than most of the human members, haha). I had my girl, Lucy, a black lab, growing up and after we had to put her down (she made it to 15!) I couldn't bear to get another dog because it felt like replacing her. But a few years ago I adopted Atticus and fell in love immediately. There is nothing that compares to the unconditional love of a dog.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts