Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,329 Posts
That is really nice Frank thanks for showing us. Love your work.

Reactions: Frankj3

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a complex font. You have taken on something that feels like the Wild West.
I've made it more time consuming than it needed to be......my learning curve.

I started with my Whiteside SC50 fine detail bit. I liked the way it cut, but it took too long to clean out all the back ground.

Next I went with my 60° V-bit to clean up the letters and the background. It did a nice job on the letters....but again, I wasn't happy with the background.

So next I put a 3/16" end mill in my Dremel and attached the Dremel's router base. Then I cleaned up all the bottoms nice and flat.

I've decided the next time I make one with this font I'm gonna go straight to the end mill and skip the other tools.

I work in a machine shop, so I'm looking in our scrap tooling to see if I can find a decent used 1/4" shank end mill with a smaller diameter cutter. I may have to buy a reduced shank collet for my router and go with a 1/8" dia. shank tool to get the smaller dia. cutters.

But it has been a fun font to cut.

Reactions: Bongo

·
Registered
Theo
6,916 Posts
I really like that font. And I know you shouldn't feed bears, because you don't want them hanging around.

I think a sign that says 'don't feed the relatives' would be a good next project.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.......I think a sign that says 'don't feed the relatives' would be a good next project.
Theo, I got a chuckle out of that line! I come from a Cajun family of over 400. When we gather, we cook A LOT! :grin:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Frank,

Look at all the trouble you're staying out of. The longer a project takes, the less money you spend getting the material to start another one.

Looks real good!!

HJ

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frank,

Look at all the trouble you're staying out of. The longer a project takes, the less money you spend getting the material to start another one.

Looks real good!!

HJ
True! Very true!!

Thanks for the compliment!

I've got 2 more signs to complete for customers.....then I have 2 more that a GREAT FRIEND sent to me to finish! LOL

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Very Nice.
A claw scratch mark and a big bite off a corner to complete it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I decided to try a different edge. I cut 1/4" cove and painted only the cove cut. Wasn't sure if I would like it....but I think I do. There's only 1 coat of clear acrylic on it now. It will get at least 3 more before I deliver it.

What say the masses?????

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
some just don't listen...

Attachments

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
I decided to try a different edge. I cut 1/4" cove and painted only the cove cut. Wasn't sure if I would like it....but I think I do. There's only 1 coat of clear acrylic on it now. It will get at least 3 more before I deliver it.

What say the masses?????
The masses say that is an incredibly well done carving job. :yes4:

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Holy fish. That is really a beautifully done sign. The cove edge, blacked, is terrific and makes it all stand out. It doesn't need bears or fat people.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking my customer will like it too.

And as a short, slow, fat man.....I stay out of the woods!!!!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,329 Posts
Absolutely brilliant Frank, like that very much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts