Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I registered on this ol' site to get help putting in the door frames and routering the door hinges. The frames are not with the doors and there are no hinges yet. I kind of know how to do this but skilled advice is always an asset. Kenn.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Hello Kenn, and welcome to the RouterForums. Glad you joined.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi there, I registered on this ol' site to get help putting in the door frames and routering the door hinges. The frames are not with the doors and there are no hinges yet. I kind of know how to do this but skilled advice is always an asset. Kenn.

Hi, Kenn
A quick & inexpensive way is to buy something like the Porter Cable Hinge Mortising set from a place like Home Depot. Average indoor hinges are 3-1/2" & exterior doors are 4" hinges. A typical front door will have at least 3 hinges. The hinges typically come with square corner, 1/4" round corner, or the 5/8" large corners.

The square & 1/4" round use the same bit & settings. You just have to square off the 1/4" round corner with a regular chisel or a corner corner chisel made for this to square off the corner.

I use the 7"-11" measurement to set top & bottom hinges. I use a 1/8" gap on top & sides. All measurements for hinges are referenced from top of door & door jamb. Top of hinge on door is 7" down from door top & 7-1/8" down on door frame to give that 1/8" clearance on top. Bottom of bottom hinge is 11" up from bottom of door to have room to hammer out hinge pin from bottom.

I would mount hinges on door first, then transfer measurements starting from top of door down to top of door jamb down + the 1/8" at each hinge location. The hinge template has instructions on how to use.

Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 59370 Door Hinge Template: Home Improvement
Porter-Cable 1/2 In. 1/4 In. Shank Hinge Mortising Router Bit - 2750036 at The Home Depot

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us.

·
Banned
510 Posts
Kenn Sorry for the late reply;Welcome to the forum; there are many here who can assist you getting what you want to do with a router. Just a reminder; there is more that can be achieved when the router is held in the plunge mode check out the material below.

I have made a simple jig for this purpose the size will depend on the hinge to be inserted (Sample Enclosed)
If you wish to contact me by email tomodonnell75(at)live(dot)com(dot)au and I may be able to answer any questions you want to put to me personally

Tom
(Template Tom)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts