Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
533 Posts
RO, you got it. :D

MLCS does have the best price on plates, Although I wish they made them slightly deeper for 1" thick woods, if I'm not mistaken their plates only work with 3/4" thick but I could be wrong ??

I'll post some pics tomorrow from my updated BOX JOINT jig.

· Registered
533 Posts
It’s 28” long Bj, I got it back in 92 or 93.
It’s porter cable omni jig plate,( don’t have the jig ) which I think it’s still sold. I saw it lying around in a tool store back in CA and it cost me 40 – 45 I think. The rest as they say is history of box joint projects.
It makes ½” joints but it can cut 1-1/8 thick stock with it.

Looks like it gets smaller as it goes to the right or is that just the picture ?
just a pic :)

Attachments

· Registered
533 Posts
Well, at least your boss doesn’t think that you’re insane. My boss keeps wanting me to get a table saw, miter saw, jointer and few things and she says she’ll pay for’em but I keep getting routers. It drives her nuts.
When we first started dating many moons ago, on the first date I took her to a tool store and introduced her to DW625 and few cmt router bits.
The first time we went out of town I had a briefcase with me and she though I had something romantic in there and then when I opened it up it was few router magazines and bottle of vodka.:eek:
Poor girl…. ;)

· Registered
533 Posts
Well, Bj is the jig MEISTER. :D

But MLCS has greate deal on both dovetail templates so go for it Michael.
Although I would get the 1/2 shank combo.

jigs are like router bits,you can never have enough. :)

This box joint template is going for around $60 these days.

· Registered
533 Posts
Thank Bj.
I clamp it against to the router table since I need the height for routing 48 inch long. I either use vertical clamping or horizontal. Since it’s 28” long and has 25 slots, it still leaves room on each side for vertical clamping.

Unfortunately there is no stamp/part number on it. I looked just in case. :(

But,I think that Amazon might have the pictures mixed up or using the same picture for both templates.
This is the link for 7123 the 28.5 inch template which is same size as mine and it’s for ½” box joint and yet there are only 17 slots which it does not make sense .

I would call the PC support and not Amazon to confirm!! The one you posted is 5123.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-...5/ref=sr_1_2/002-5855099-4488851?ie=UTF8&s=hi

If that’s not it, it could be one of those things PC made a few and then decided that no one will use the full length or something. Just guessing.As I said it is from back in early 90’s.

meanwhile, here's the first jig I ever made back in 91.

Attachments

· Registered
533 Posts
TWITA Bj :D

Be very careful attempting 48” long boards on the table. The weight will have the tendency to tilt the template and also might scratch the table. It was a lot easier and faster for me to do four 50 inch sides on my current project just free-hand. Using the table is good on the small projects.
Here’s a tip, use a brass block 5/8 to offset a slot when cutting the pins on two sides and top and bottom and then when you remove the brass block you can do the tails and they will all align perfecto...

Onward with box joints :)

· Registered
533 Posts
Bj, have a look at the 3rd pic on this link I posted a while back.

http://www.routerforums.com/show-n-tell/3264-perfect-box-joints.html

I use a 5/8 brass bar to align the boards initially and make the first cuts. (5/8 is the same size as the template spaces which when you use ½ router bit gives ½” box joints) . Then for the top and bottom or side to side I add a ½ brass bar which offsets all the cuts by exact ½.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.