Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a person who has used both free hand and table mounted routers over a couple of years to build guitars I'm after some advise on buying a dovetail jig?
As you can see I'm located in Melbourne Australia but happy to buy the right solution online. I simply need your experience and insight to guide me as to what is best value.
I see myself making boxes and draws. I have my own router table for which I want this jig.
Thanks everyone.......
:unsure:

·
Registered
Theo
7,136 Posts
Well, my option, if I wanted a dovetail jig, would be to do some searching on-line, find some plans, preferably free, and make my own. I don't like buying what I can make.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Porter Cable 4216 and could not be happier. This jig gives me spot on dove tails and can also produce excellent box joints.

Dan

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hi Kerry.

I am a fan of the Gifkins jig, but the only issue is that it is not very easy to make half blind dovetails.

As you can see, Carba-tec sell a few;

Search Results : CARBA-TEC

How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
782 Posts
James i have the gifkins , i bought it when roger still had it, i bought it when it first came out yrs back, it work's perfect ever time, the only thing the 2 bit's are pricey, i haven't look around much for replacement bit's yet, instead of the carb-bit's , do you know of any , thanks del schisler

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
James i have the gifkins , i bought it when roger still had it, i bought it when it first came out yrs back, it work's perfect ever time, the only thing the 2 bit's are pricey, i haven't look around much for replacement bit's yet, instead of the carb-bit's , do you know of any , thanks del schisler
Hi Del, I also bought my Gifkins A10 many years ago and also the B10 templates about 5 years ago.

As far as I know, the only supplier for the cutters is Carbi-tool.

CARB I TOOL Australia Pty Ltd.:. Sharpening services, Saw Blades, Router Bits

This site also sells the Carbi-tool cutters;

Australian router bits and cutters at apworkshop.com.au

http://www.apworkshop.com.au/html_routerbits/13N-gfb-gdb.html

Harrysin put me on to them....I have not done a pricing comparison.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts