Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is it possible to dovetail a board that is over 6' long while laying flat on a bench with a General Tools dovetail jig? I am building a workbench that I want to use 3/4" Poplar around the outside edges. The core of the bench is 4 pieces of 3/4" plywood that has been laminated together. I want to use this jig with my handheld Porter Cable router.The bench is just over 6' long by 24" wide.
Dovetails are usually used along the periphery of loose fitting panels, such as drawer bottoms, simply because they have no give. Fitting to the exact length would be quite a challenge, and would have built in movement conflict. My apron is 5/4 ash doweled along its length front and back and breadboarded at the ends of which sliding dovetails would be great for that application. The corners are not attached to allow movement. It hangs about 2 inches lower than the top for easy removal of bench dogs and irons that match the front vise, whose back jaw is the apron. The bottom edge on the front side is beveled front and back for the deadman slide.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.