Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.Got a stots jig today and have been playing with it.Am I correct in thinking the max. thickness of wood I can dovetail is detemined by the cutter length?(13/16" as supplied)Sounds a bit obvious ,but until now I hadn't appreciated the point as the material/project I was hoping to use it on calls for 25mm(1").Have I got the longest cutting edge of dovetail bit or are there longer.A quick Web Search didnt show anything.Wouls appreciate your comments.Ta in advance.Regards.Norm

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Yes that would be max for through dovetails, but 1/2 blind depends on the dovetail fixtures thickness capacity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are home made jigs for using the table saw, where the thickness would be less of a concern. It was in Pop Wood recently if memory serves. I think the guy's last name is Enger, has a book or two in the pop wood set. The jig looks easy enough, I know this is the router forum, please don't kick me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rabet your boards down to 3/4, and dovetail those ends together. The Stots jig is a good thing. It is limited by the length of your dovetail bit.
Try cutting your dovetails on a table saw. That works easier than most jigs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts