Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need to be able to repeatedly and precisely make holes for dowels to joint 2 pieces of wood in the way the picture shows:

I didn't come out with a method for this yet, I thought of building some kind of structure with predrilled holes, then push the piece of wood there and drill with some kind of stop.. but.. not sure.

Any ideas?, do I need to have a drill bank for this?, I don't, but if required I could get one I guess.

(btw, if you think of a better way to joint this, let me know!, for the moment is only glued, the structure is only used for a picture frame, so is not required to be strong, but, the stronger the better I guess.)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hi, I need to be able to repeatedly and precisely make holes for dowels to joint 2 pieces of wood in the way the picture shows:

I didn't come out with a method for this yet, I thought of building some kind of structure with predrilled holes, then push the piece of wood there and drill with some kind of stop.. but.. not sure.

Any ideas?, do I need to have a drill bank for this?, I don't, but if required I could get one I guess.

(btw, if you think of a better way to joint this, let me know!, for the moment is only glued, the structure is only used for a picture frame, so is not required to be strong, but, the stronger the better I guess.)
jump to the head of the class...
Dowl-It 2500 Jig | Doweling Jigs

splines or biscuits would be simpler, more accurate and faster...
change the type of miter...

http://www.table-saw-guide.com/image-files/mitered-rabbet-joint.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nothing coming to mind on the doweling, but for other methods:
Splines are nice
Bowtie inlay at each corner
Pocket holes (only on frames i'm not gifting--personal use only). Actually, with pocket holes, i don't even glue the corners, and i can whip up a frame pretty quickly.

earl

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Lets hear it for Pocket Holes.............I'm listening...........Don't hear much........?????

I love pocket holes for face frames and they are fast and strong, no glue either. Don't know how they would work on mitered corners,will have to try that.

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Sorry, I'm with Stick about splines or biscuits. Fast and easy. Can be done on a TS, router table, or with biscuit joiner. Done properly can eliminate alignment problems which can be a problem with dowels or screws.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Still listening.
I use them when is it's the best for the application..
gorilla strong too...
a biscuit and a pocket screw would be fast, accurate, strong, no muss, no fuss KISS/MISS....

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Still listening.
Sorry, i was snoring...the only noise you'd have heard.

They work very well, just have to hold back from the outer edge a bit. I've done a handful of mitered frames that way, no glue, no problems. Just cut an accurate corner, align correctly, clamp really tight, screw, done.

earl

·
Official Greeter
18,737 Posts
I use the "Ozzie Jig" for dowels and it works great for mitre corners.

Not sure if it is still available...

http://youtu.be/APVF8u5vx3c

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pablo

I like to quote American author, Jim Tolpin:

"Dowel joints are foul joints." A dowel joint is difficult to drill accurately and has very little face-grain to face-grain gluing area and is destined to fail over time. I agree with the other replies you got. I would use a biscuit (plate) joint or pocket hole screws.

Denis Lock - "Routing with Denis"

·
Registered
808 Posts
Herb, I don't like them. I just don't see a need for adding a ragged hole and screws to a miter. Just me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So many good options.

Because of the design of the picture frame I'm building (a backlit one) I can't use pocket hole joint, or at least it would be complicated.

I'm using 3/4" MDF, I will ad some pictures later and I will also show the full process so others can see and maybe give me some advice.

If dowels are not a good idea, then I can go with splines, I just need to find a way to make the holes and to use them also as center too.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Pablo, I use a tremendous volume of wooden dowels and I am a BIG BELIEVER in wooden dowels when used properly. You added that you are using MDF, so I going to suggest that you stay away from dowels (it would be into "end grain") because MDF has a tremendous tendency to split in that scenario. MDF is not so great with pocket holes, either. MDF takes glue very well, so the splines or biscuits will probably be your best bet.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Pablo, because you are using Mdf I would make a blind slot or use a biscuit. I've tried splining Mdf and it is hard to sand the exposed spline flush. The Mdf sands much faster than wood does and it will leave the spline raised slightly (proud).

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Wow, this is a good discussion going here.
Some good ideas and explanations too.
I,like the aussie jig too ,james would not be hard to build one.
Different materials take different methods. Haven't seen any MDF picture frames tho.
Keep going ,

Herb

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, splines is what I will use, it's decided then.

Now I need to find a method to create the splines holes precisely so they can be used as center when I assemble the frame.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
So many good options.

Because of the design of the picture frame I'm building (a backlit one) I can't use pocket hole joint, or at least it would be complicated.

I'm using 3/4" MDF, I will ad some pictures later and I will also show the full process so others can see and maybe give me some advice.

If dowels are not a good idea, then I can go with splines, I just need to find a way to make the holes and to use them also as center too.
not complicated... pocket holes go where they won't be seen...

MDF.. skip using mechanical fasteners and dowels... doomed from the get go.. it's too fragile...

splines...
bearing guided slot cutter and your router...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Wow, this is a good discussion going here.
Some good ideas and explanations too.
I,like the aussie jig too ,james would not be hard to build one.
Different materials take different methods. Haven't seen any MDF picture frames tho.
Keep going ,

Herb
too fragile... too much flex... but they can had at wally world and dollar store.....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Yeah, splines is what I will use, it's decided then.

Now I need to find a method to create the splines holes precisely so they can be used as center when I assemble the frame.
you have the PDF...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts