Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have strips of laminated wood cut-offs. Can anyone tell me how to make my own dowels from these?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize. I was way too vague with my question. These cut offs are only 1/2"-3/4" square, and 3"-5" long. I really was looking for a quick way to round these off, other than sanding. The bullnose method just seemed a little dangerous to me. I read once that someone put wood in their 1/2" drill and held it to a stationary belt sander. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the responses.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Do you have a spoke shave? That can get you almost round then the drill and sanding could finish them up.

Ed

·
Registered
120 Posts
That Lie Neilson plate is a multi size dowel die whereas you can make your own very easily like carpenters have done for centuries.
Drill a hole in a steel bar approx 1/4" thick to the required dowel diameter then turn this die over so the burr is pointing up to cut the wood.
Put a chamfer on each piece of wood so it can start in the hole then with the die well supported hammer the wood through the hole.
You now have a dowel of the required size.
Because the wood is being compressed slightly when passing through the die the hole is often drilled slightly smaller.
i.e. 31/64" for a 1/2" dowel.

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
boxer said:
I apologize. I was way too vague with my question. These cut offs are only 1/2"-3/4" square, and 3"-5" long. I really was looking for a quick way to round these off, other than sanding. The bullnose method just seemed a little dangerous to me. I read once that someone put wood in their 1/2" drill and held it to a stationary belt sander. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the responses.
Kevin
Don't use the router to make the dowel, the pieces are to small to cut.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Boxer, have you thought about glueing your pieces together into a useable size? Some very cool results come from laminating different woods together. Just a thought. Happy woodworking!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.