Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone know of a downloadable speed chart for a drill press? I need a reference for different bit types as well as materials if possible. I saw some when Googled but most have been removed due to copyright issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Steve;
I have one in hard copy. I'll see if I can find it, scan it and either e-mail it or try and post it But I'm guessing Stick will have posted a.pdf on the topic by then. :)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Steve;
I have one in hard copy. I'll see if I can find it, scan it and either e-mail it or try and post it But I'm guessing Stick will have posted a.pdf on the topic by then. :)
I did... (I'm sure you have a copy of each of these...)
some time back...
but here it is again..
w/ a bonus or two...

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
In the past I've used used motor oil or oil I can't identify for drilling steel but the last time I drilled some I decided I'd try some thread tapping compound that looks like thick brown grease. It worked way better than oil did. Kept the bit cooler and lubricated better.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I work for Cromac chemicals from Brampton ON. and we sell the best tapping fluid on the market. People that have used it for years and tried others always come back saying it's the best. It is sold by distributors across Canada and is called Cromatap #1. I've tried it and it works great !
BTW, I am not trying to sell some, my territory is only Quebec and eastern Ontario, not BC. and we only sell by the case.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am having trouble copying the link but there is a chart from Wood Magazine called Drill press speed chart. It is all over the web and one that came up "Meridith Corp pdf" is printable. It lists materials across the top and the correct speed for all sizes and types (twist, spade, Forstner, spur, etc.) down the side. They sent me a couple of copies a while back, with a subscription solicitation. I have it framed behind my drill press. There was another offer to download but you need a password, which probably requires a subscription.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Stick and Guys. The old drill press is a 1964 Clauson model that I bought from a friend. I did manage to find a manual that I bought but it didn't cover speeds other than how to change them. This is a belted system and there is a three knob lever to rotate to change speeds while it is running. This seems to be an old industrial model but works great with plenty of power. I've cut easily through 1/2" steel but then I also had a very good bit. I've drilled up to 4" holes using hole saw bits and 3" using the forstner bits on 1" white oak. It's no Nova but it didn't cost like one either. I'm good to go now and thanks for all the information. Stick the PDFs are printed and filed, actually in the drill bit cabinet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts