Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first posting, but it is a question I have thought about for quite some time. Years ago there was a TV show devoted entirely to using a router. On one of the shows, they made a drawer front in which the knob, or pull, was routed into the front. Two circle templates were used, one wider than the other. One created the hollowed out portion behind the pull and the other the pull itself. I do not remember what bits were used, but I suspect a drawer pull bit and a box core bit could work. Does anyone know how this was done? The stumbling point I am having is that the drawer pull bit, which undercuts the knob, seems to have to enter the cut from the side, but a circle jig only permits you to plunge from the top.
I can send a drawing of how I think the setup might look as soon as I understand your website a little better.
Any help would be appreciated.
That heartwood

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Chris

I have not seen it done but it's sounds neat :)

If I was going to do it I would use the two bits below and two cir.template that would carrier/support the brass guides,one for the outside cut and one for the inside cut..both bits are drop and cut bits..

use 3/4" OD bit on both,and use the 1" brass guide.the outside cir.template would be bigger than the inside cir..so you don't wipe out the outside edge of the core bit cut..

Finger Pull Router Bits
MLCS Euro door, door lip, finger pull, drawer lock bits, glue joint router bits

Core Box Bits
MLCS core box and round nose router bits

=========

This is my first posting, but it is a question I have thought about for quite some time. Years ago there was a TV show devoted entirely to using a router. On one of the shows, they made a drawer front in which the knob, or pull, was routed into the front. Two circle templates were used, one wider than the other. One created the hollowed out portion behind the pull and the other the pull itself. I do not remember what bits were used, but I suspect a drawer pull bit and a box core bit could work. Does anyone know how this was done? The stumbling point I am having is that the drawer pull bit, which undercuts the knob, seems to have to enter the cut from the side, but a circle jig only permits you to plunge from the top.
I can send a drawing of how I think the setup might look as soon as I understand your website a little better.
Any help would be appreciated.
That heartwood

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Adam

You don't need the skills the router will do all the work for you .You just need to make a round template,and pull the router around and around the inside of template..you will be amazed how easy it can be with the router doing the work..test it out on some scrap stock just for kicks then do the real drawer fronts..

===

That sounds like it would look great...very unusual and unique. I don't quite have the skills for it, though. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts