Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm sure everyone is aware that Dremel dropped the Trio sometime back. And so accessories are a bit hard to find.
So when I decided I needed a low power small router table I thought to build one to utilize my old Trio.
As I bought an even older used one for parts a modified the spare aluminum base to actually mount the Trio under the table. It works extremely well. I just have to remember those 3/16" bits can only be pushed so hard. On larger jobs I resort to my full size setup.
Now I want to add an easy way to adjust the depth of the bit. Does anyone have an idea?

·
Administrator
David
3,982 Posts
Not familiar with it, Andy. Photos would help.

Btw, edit your profile and add your first name to clear the N/a in the side panel. Account Settings in the top right, then Edit Signature on the left side panel.

David

·
Registered
361 Posts
Andy

The Dremel Trio could have been so much better if a bit more thought was put into it. The biggest 'bugbear' was the lack of a proper plunge mechanism, and as you note, adjusting the depth of the bit is "hit and miss" - and the edge guide was designed by someone who didn't understand the function. For all that, I have found it to be quite useful for certain work.
Here is a link to a thread I posted way back some years ago, showing my rough table, and a sign I made - go further in the link to see an elaborate sign I made using the cutting function of the Trio.
https://www.routerforums.com/show-n-tell/53609-house-name-sign.html
I would be keen to see a picture of the table you made. I too have given thought to how the bit depth could be smoothly adjusted, but short of an 'engineering makeover', I'll just muddle along.

Rob

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
K.I.S.S. Spacers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post a few shots of my table. Well it's really not a table but a tooling fixture that is mounted in my vice.

·
Registered
361 Posts
@RiovistaAndy

Your table is a bit more elaborate than mine - if you followed my link you would have seen that mine doesn't even have a fence, as my main use has been for rounding over small cut out lettering. But I like the idea of a finely adjustable fence like you have made. Fine bit height adjustment is always going to be problematic, because of the tool's design. For repeatability, once I have achieved an exact height that I want, I cut a notch of that height in a baton, and clamp it across the table over the bit while I adjust it.
If you think of a good fix, please post it.

Rob

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mainly use mine to relieve the edges on furniture. Or just a little decoration. The table with the fence has made it much easier than just using a bit with a bearing or the flimsy POS of a fence that came with it.
I'm still also looking for broken Trios to add to my spare parts bin.
Keep safe and well
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts