Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As I'm just starting out, all I seem to do is ask for advice!! Sorry!! Hopefully I'll be able to help someone one day!!

I was wondering which brand of drill bits people here use and are those they are happy with. I would like to purchase a high quality set of imperial and metric standard sizes as well as some smaller diameter bits. I am slightly apprehensive and do not want to buy poor quality bits that will wear out quickly or at worst, snap. In terms of budget I am fortunately not too restricted. I am looking to get both a set of brad point bits and forstner bits (for slightly larger sizes obviously).

I will mainly be working with Maple, Rosewood, Mahogany, Amboyna, Walnut and Ash if this makes any difference.

Thank you all very much in advance for all your help,

Kind regards,

Gary.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The ones I have purchased from Lee Valley tools in Canada have been very good, both lipped brad points and Forstners.

·
Registered
48 Posts
spend some $$ for the Forstners. The brad points arent near as important or expensive, and will need to be replaced much more often. Dont forget to pick up a few tapered pilothole/countersinks, and a few of the self-centering drill bits for mounting hinges

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gary,

Over the years I’ve used many different brands of drill bits and I’ve finally narrowed my selection down to five sets, by five different manufacturers. For general purpose wood drilling I use a Bosch Titanium Coated Jobbers, for metal I use a Cobalt Pilot set from DeWalt, for pen blanks I use a Colt High Speed Steel set and for forstner bits, I use Porter-Cable. With the exception of maybe the Colt Set, none of these bit collections are high-end or high-dollar, but they last a long time because many of them only get used a few times a year.

Of course having all these different brands isn’t necessary, I have just grown accustomed to having specific tools for specific tasks. It also doesn’t help that I can’t seem to remember things like I used to, so having different brands for different materials (such as a wood set and a metal set) allows me to stay organized.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I agree with the forstner bits,I use them probably more than others. I have a Porter Cable set that I like ...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Gary,
Look at Axminster tool Co's catalogue, for brad point bits, and for Forstner type bits, whatever you get they will not last because of the difficulty in sharpening them, Axminster have sets ot coated bits that are very good, (I have them) and frankly as you are only drilling into timber and not steel, you'd be surprised what you could really get away with, but naturally if you get these you will be getting an excellent quality bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much everyone for your recommendations and comments, I really appreciate the assistance.

Kind regards,

Gary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts