Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started on a project to replace the small cabinet under my drill press with two goals - give me more/better storage and use only materials lying around the shop. I finished it this afternoon and am a little disappointed; met goal #2 but fell a little short on #1 - and the ideas for improvements kept coming as I was transferring the bits and pieces from old to new cabinet.

Here is the completed cabinet, same height and depth as the old cabinet but using up the whole width of the mobile base. I kept the same number of drawers as I didn't want to buy more slides and didn't have any extra. I like the covered section at the top where I can store vises, clamps, etc. while still having a surface where I can lay stuff while I'm working at the drill.

The sliding trays in the drawers were a good idea, just poor execution - should have gone with one more drawer, made them all shallower as I'm still finding the contents are piled on top of each other - turns out I didn't enough large items to justify the 6" deep drawers. And the sliding tray should be the whole width and half the depth, particularly since the drawers aren't full extension.

At this point, I'm seriously thinking about scrapping the top two drawers and making multiple sliding shallow trays to replace them. It's too late to cut dadoes in the sides so thinking about making strips to glue to the sides to give me a slat-wall effect and have the bottoms of the trays slide in the gaps.

Now that the cabinet is complete, I can see where I messed up - a drill press cabinet is mainly going to store drills, and that doesn't need deep drawers. A bunch of 1-1/4 - 1-1/2" deep trays with dividers would be ideal.

At least I managed to use up a lot of the offcuts that were lying around the shop, may not be able to finish the redesign without buying some more material though. The cabinet wound up costing me nothing except for the handles (and I could have probably made them out of wood too) so I don't feel too bad about having to backtrack and correct the mistakes.

Tom

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Don't scrap the drawers. Just put a couple of supports - one on each side - and build a tray that you can slide back and forth or remove to gain access to the stuff underneath.
Mike

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
we love left overs...
you have a fine piece of craftsman ship there...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't scrap the drawers. Just put a couple of supports - one on each side - and build a tray that you can slide back and forth or remove to gain access to the stuff underneath.
Mike
I messed up with the trays really, they worked fine until I put the drawer fronts on and then I found you can't take them out without (almost) removing the drawer. I think what I need to do is move the supports to the ends of the drawer and make the tray the whole length but about half the width so it can be easily removed. And I can put in dividers to break up the length so things don't all jumble together.

I like your cabinet, sure looks like you've managed to store a lot of stuff in there which is what I'm trying to accomplish.

Tom

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Thanks Tom. The difference in the two cabinets is mine is deeper because the drill press is a bench top model that is mounted on top of the cabinet.

I see what you are talking about. In a couple of my drawers I simply used a piece of 1/4 inch plywood that can be removed easily. I also used some parts bins so I can move them around or take them out.

Your cabinet looks really nice. Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes when I work my way into a corner (happens all of the time), I sleep on it and wake up the next day with a solution. Makes for a new meaning of "In your dreams"! :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
we love left overs...
you have a fine piece of craftsman ship there...
Thanks. I've got luan plywood (kitchen countertops) for the drawer fronts, the back of the cabinet is the old subfloor from the downstairs bathroom remodeling project, the drawer bottoms and top shelf are offcuts from the underlayment under the vinyl floor in the bathroom, the sides and shelves are from an offcut from a sheet of Sande plywood I used to build a shelf unit in the shop, the sides of the sliding trays are strips ripped from 2x4 offcuts, the oak and poplar edging were ripped from scraps that were stacked on the lumber rack and the drawer backs and sides are an offcut of 1/2" Baltic birch that I used to build a hardware storage cabinet last year. I took quite a bite out of the pile, but still got a ways to go - it gets tougher to use it up as the selection gets more limited. But I need the space.................

Many years ago, I bought two mahogany conference tables - one was 20' long in three sections and the other one piece and almost 8' long. The aprons are solid mahogany, about 2" thick and almost 5" wide. They came with the built-up mahogany legs. I've moved them twice, but hope to be able to make something nice out of the pieces in the very near future, thinking about an Oriental-design sideboard as a gift for my wife. But I need to get the shop cleaned up so I have room to work first.

Tom

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job Tom . Neat idea for the flip top
Thanks Rick. That's actually not the way I had planned to build it, was originally going to hinge the back edge, and was trying to either come up with a hinge that would work or a way to beef up the 1/2" plywood back. It worked out pretty well, but I was pulling pieces out of the stack and "designing" on the fly based on the pieces I found. I think it turned out better this way - the top sits on the side rails and runs all the way to the outside of the back, it can't go any further as the inside face of the front hits the end of the side strips. So, depending on what I'm looking to get out, I can just pick the front up, letting the back pivot on the side strips, or just lift it off completely.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Thanks. I've got luan plywood (kitchen countertops) for the drawer fronts, the back of the cabinet is the old subfloor from the downstairs bathroom remodeling project, the drawer bottoms and top shelf are offcuts from the underlayment under the vinyl floor in the bathroom, the sides and shelves are from an offcut from a sheet of Sande plywood I used to build a shelf unit in the shop, the sides of the sliding trays are strips ripped from 2x4 offcuts, the oak and poplar edging were ripped from scraps that were stacked on the lumber rack and the drawer backs and sides are an offcut of 1/2" Baltic birch that I used to build a hardware storage cabinet last year. I took quite a bite out of the pile, but still got a ways to go - it gets tougher to use it up as the selection gets more limited. But I need the space.................

Many years ago, I bought two mahogany conference tables - one was 20' long in three sections and the other one piece and almost 8' long. The aprons are solid mahogany, about 2" thick and almost 5" wide. They came with the built-up mahogany legs. I've moved them twice, but hope to be able to make something nice out of the pieces in the very near future, thinking about an Oriental-design sideboard as a gift for my wife. But I need to get the shop cleaned up so I have room to work first.

Tom
Now that's what I am talking about. Use what you have on the rack! Cut it, rip, rip it again, and on and on. It really is amazing what can be built if you have a few tools, namely the table saw, jointer and planer. Mill it your way. :)

I have four or five boards in my storage shed that were part of the pews in a church that was remodeled. My dad had them stored in his garage and now I have them. They are basically 2x10x 6-8 feet in length. I have no idea what to do with them. Still thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tom. The difference in the two cabinets is mine is deeper because the drill press is a bench top model that is mounted on top of the cabinet.

I see what you are talking about. In a couple of my drawers I simply used a piece of 1/4 inch plywood that can be removed easily. I also used some parts bins so I can move them around or take them out.

Your cabinet looks really nice. Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes when I work my way into a corner (happens all of the time), I sleep on it and wake up the next day with a solution. Makes for a new meaning of "In your dreams"! :)
Exactly. I'm thinking of doing something like the Tool Tray Tower, I think that the shallow trays would give me more storage flexibility, plus make it easier to find individual drill bits. I'd have to glue strips to the inside of the cabinet to give me the grooves for the plywood bottoms to slide in but that's not a big deal. I'll lay it out, maybe just replacing the center drawer and see how it works - should give me four trays about 1-1/2" deep which would be perfect.

I like the Akro bins in the drawer. I copied the design of one from way back in Woodsmith but didn't make mine look like a piece of furniture, works really well for organizing hardware. I liked the bins so much that I bought a case of them and replaced the shelves of coffee cans that I'd accumulated, way more organized.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
my dumpster dove special and reclaimed shed...

Reactions: mbar57 and old55

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stick,

I'd love to get my shop half as organized as that. Kind of nibbling around the edges at the moment, but projects seem to keep getting in the way. My wife keeps offering to clean the shop for me, but I'm thinking that she means clean out :crying:

Tom

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
Nice cabinet Tom, congratulations.

Reactions: tomp913

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Tom,

Those Akro bins in the Drawer will solve some of my problems. Thanks for the idea. I have zero wall space, but some potential drawer space.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is what shop projects are all about right? I love diving in blind, learning as I go and having even better ideas when I'm done. Without the stress of how much, and I hope they like it!! Good job Tom.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Live with it for a while before you make any changes. It takes a while to sort out what you want where and whats the best way to store it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom,

Those Akro bins in the Drawer will solve some of my problems. Thanks for the idea. I have zero wall space, but some potential drawer space.
The idea for the Hardware Cabinet was in the July 2002 edition of ShopNotes, so I've had that basic concept in the back of my head for a while, just not as a piece of furniture. Plus my shop has 1-1/2 rows of blocks coming up before the framed walls so I can't make a cabinet that sits "against the wall". The cabinet really helped me organize my hardware; I'd be working on a project, know that I had the correct size/type of fastener left over from another project, spend half the morning looking for them before going out and buying some more - only to find them when I got home. Now I'm able to sort like sizes and types together and find things a lot quicker. It also helped that I bought 1000 small zip-lock bags to put the odds and ends left overs in rather then just dumping them in a bin and sorting through them - all I have to do is look through the bags in a specific bin - e.g. #6 fl hd screws or #10-24 rh machine screws - and instantly know how many I have of a particular size.

The Akro bins really make great organizers, I keep finding ways to use them to get more storage for bits and pieces. I'm now looking at making a shelf to suspend below my wall cabinets in the space between the cabinets and the top of my bench so that I can put bins there for additional storage as I've pretty much run out of open wall space.

Tom

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Live with it for a while before you make any changes. It takes a while to sort out what you want where and what's the best way to store it.
Good suggestion. This replaces the old cabinet that was the same height and depth, just narrower, which had three shallower drawers and an open space at the bottom so the contents are pretty fixed - not counting new purchases of course. The replacement trays are kind of a no brainer, and pretty easy to knock out. Replacing the drawer(s) with the sliding trays is a little more involved as I'll have to mill down the thin stock and so forth - that's going to take a while as my shop time is limited. Shop time around here is like Frequent Flyer Miles - I earn x shop hours based on XXX hours on the "Honey-Do" list, and I've been hearing rumblings that tell me I'm out of Frequent Flyer Miles. :frown:

Tom

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hi, Tom.
I like your drill press cabinet. I have been procrastinating a similar construction for my new 16" drill press. If you don´t mind, I´ll use your model and Mike´s advices for mine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts