Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have ever made a depth stop for your DP I would like to know how you did it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm sure this is too simple, but if your DP doesn't have a stop, (why would they build one without) you could always use the table height adjustment

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I can imagine how to make one depending on whether there is room between the handle assembly (spokes) and the casing. All mine is on my Delta press is a stop collar that locks to the shaft. If there is room for a collar to fit on the quill shaft then you could drill and tap it for a set screw bolt. Then you could drill the drill head for a pin or bolt for the set screw bolt to stop against. This would give you just under 1 full turn of the handle for depth adjustment.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure this is too simple, but if your DP doesn't have a stop, (why would they build one without) you could always use the table height adjustment
Ronald it does have a depth stop but it's one of those that operates like a set screw but you hand tighten it. It might as well not have one.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sorry Hawkeye10, I have limited experience with models other than my old Delta the stop is built into the pinion handle.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you have ever made a depth stop for your DP I would like to know how you did it.
It depends what you already have on your DP. Mine is on the pull-down handle, others have a threaded rod with hex or knurled nut.

Which DP do you have?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Angie I have a Harbor Frieght DP. Their brand name is Central Machinery. The size is between a table top and a floor model. I have been looking for a good used DP for several months but so far I have had no luck.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Here's one I made last year but it's kind of tedious ........
I found this on YouTube some time ago from A Cut Above Woodworkings:......
There doesn't appear to be a depth bar on the harbor freight DP's. They use a collar on the pull-down handles center. I have the same problem, no depth bar.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Woodsmith issue 221 for October has the plans for a very nice depth stop that can also be used to hold the quill at a set depth, as for sanding applications. It is on my to do list. :yes4:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woodsmith issue 221 for October has the plans for a very nice depth stop that can also be used to hold the quill at a set depth, as for sanding applications. It is on my to do list. :yes4:
But I don't subscribe to Woodsmith. Can you post a link or picture?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts