Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on how to correctly mark and align a blank router table insert plate so that the router will be mounted dead center.

I have a Bench Dog router table attached to the right side of my table saw. The installation went quite well. All appears to be flat and true.

I have a Hitachi M12V2 router. Bench Dog said I have to use the blank router table insert plate to mount this router.

My question is how do you set/mark/align the blank insert plate for drilling to insure the router will be mounted properly?

No pun intended, but I am really drawing a blank here.

GaryB

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Gary

This is one job that you must take your time and do right, you have just one shot at it :)

You 1st. need to make a disk out of plastic or some 1/4" MDF, put it on bolt, than you need to take the base plate off the router and take one of the screws to ACE hardware and get 4 Cone point set screw or the norm ones and grind them to a sharp Point,with your drill, once you have the screws put them in the base backwards so the point is sticking out of the base, than chuck up the disk on a stick and put the disk in the hole (it must be the right size) once the disk is in place plunge the router down and with a hammer Tap the base of the router down and it will mark the right spot to drill the hole out, than take a 1/16" drill bit and drill the holes out, once you have all 4 holes drilled out flip the plate and drill the holes out to the right size for the screws to mount the router and counter sink all 4 holes, now mount the router in place..

Put the disk on a stick in a safe place it will come in handy down the road..

========

I need some advice on how to correctly mark and align a blank router table insert plate so that the router will be mounted dead center.

I have a Bench Dog router table attached to the right side of my table saw. The installation went quite well. All appears to be flat and true.

I have a Hitachi M12V2 router. Bench Dog said I have to use the blank router table insert plate to mount this router.

My question is how do you set/mark/align the blank insert plate for drilling to insure the router will be mounted properly?

No pun intended, but I am really drawing a blank here.

GaryB

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gary

This is one job that you must take your time and do right, you have just one shot at it :)

You 1st. need to make a disk out of plastic or some 1/4" MDF, put it on bolt, than you need to take the base plate off the router and take one of the screws to ACE hardware and get 4 Cone point set screw or the norm ones and grind them to a sharp Point,with your drill, once you have the screws put them in the base backwards so the point is sticking out of the base, than chuck up the disk on a stick and put the disk in the hole (it must be the right size) once the disk is in place plunge the router down and with a hammer Tap the base of the router down and it will mark the right spot to drill the hole out, than take a 1/16" drill bit and drill the holes out, once you have all 4 holes drilled out flip the plate and drill the holes out to the right size for the screws to mount the router and counter sink all 4 holes, now mount the router in place..

Put the disk on a stick in a safe place it will come in handy down the road..

========
Thank you very much for the idea. Sounds like a great plan. I will get working on the disk today!

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Gary, if you want to make life easy you can order a Rousseau kit for $5 from Woodcraft. The kit includes a 1/4" alignment pin, transfer screws and a metal center disk. There are different kits available to fit all routers so be sure to check which size screws your router uses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks to BobJ and Mike for the help. I followed Bob's directions and it worked like a charm. Mike I would have purchased the alignment kit if I had known about it. It took a couple of tries with the 5mm screws before I got them ground to a point without messing up the threads. This is truly what fourms are all about, sharing knowledge. Thanks again for the great advice!
Gary B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts