Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unsuccessful in my search for one of these using every description possible. McMaster is no help. Owners manuals just tag it as a "Handle"
Anyone know where I can find one with a 5/16" NC thread?
And while I'm at it, can anyone help me source a 7/16" NF carriage bolt and rod coupler? Thanks all for looking.
Chris
Audio equipment Wood Fashion accessory Metal Auto part
Wood Font Metal Office supplies Wire

·
Super Moderator
514 Posts
welcome to the forum, Chris.
what does the tightening handle go to ? how many do you need ?
would you be open to a similar item that performs the same function, but of a different design ?
a google search turned up a few under Table Lock Handle. Ereplacementparts.com carries a lot of parts for woodworking machines.
Auto part Composite material Fashion accessory Metal Rectangle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you - nice to be here. Amazing group. And you sir are a wonder.
It is used to allow quick release (and belt adjust) of a motor mount on a two-rod support. The area is cramped and it started with hex bolts. I purchased lift-and-turn spring loaded handle studs; what McMaster calls adjustable clamping handles. Still too tight an area. Now that you have figured out a name (don't know how you did it) I can search.
Thanks.
Any idea on a 7/16 NF carriage bolt / rod coupler? Retrofitting a vintage swivel vise clamp base.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is used to allow quick release (and belt adjust) of a motor mount on a two-rod support. The area is cramped and it started with hex bolts. I purchased lift-and-turn spring loaded handle studs; what McMaster calls adjustable clamping handles. Still too tight an area. Now that you have figured out a name (don't know how you did it) I can search.
Thanks.
Any idea on a 7/16 NF carriage bolt / rod coupler? Retrofitting a vintage swivel vise clamp base.
It looks like the locking handle for the Delta Drill press table. Not sure about thread size though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello all and thanks for all the help. And Roland, that's why this is so weird. We all have seen these things on everything and yet they seem to be custom made for things like drill presses and other such devices with tables. McMaster has a million different machine handles; just not this type. And who uses 5/16" of anything? And 7/16 carriage bolts"?
Only need two of these dudes so I may just modify a bolt with a hacksawn slot if the Delta (or other) replacement part cost is what I think it will be. I'll research now that you fella's have given me a direction, and will let you all know the outcome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello all and thanks for all the help. And Roland, that's why this is so weird. We all have seen these things on everything and yet they seem to be custom made for things like drill presses and other such devices with tables. McMaster has a million different machine handles; just not this type. And who uses 5/16" of anything? And 7/16 carriage bolts"?
Only need two of these dudes so I may just modify a bolt with a hacksawn slot if the Delta (or other) replacement part cost is what I think it will be. I'll research now that you fella's have given me a direction, and will let you all know the outcome.
Look on e replacement parts use a delta Model 17-900 that's a 16.5 drill press but I'm afraid it's larger than 5/16.

·
Registered
23 Posts
McMaster is okay for general mass produced items, thumb screws and tie rod end type stuff. If I were you I'd be looking at speciality fastener companies. Vlier, Mitsumi, Carr Lane type outfits. Be the color that part in your photo is black oxide and hardened. I'm not sure what your budget is but for around $100 you could have a local machine shop make you one or two....obviously the more you have them make the less expensive the per piece price will be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks.
As far as I know an NF carriage bolt isn't manufactured because they are used primarily to bolt wood to something, such as horse carriages, saw mill carriages, etc. Full strength engagement of the threads isn't required in such cases since shear strength is usually the primary goal. If it's an absolute requirement, get an extra long bolt and thread what you need after cutting to the required length, making sure it wasn't roll threaded, which has a smaller shank diameter. Boltdepot.com may have a coupling nut.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Look on e replacement parts use a delta Model 17-900 that's a 16.5 drill press but I'm afraid it's larger than 5/16.
I cannot imagine why a socket head screws wouldn't work using a cut off Allen wrench if needed. One end for speed and the other for torque. I had two of those swing bolts on my Rong Fu mill drill but have them on my Delta drill press now after installing a pneumatic saddle lock on the mill. The serrated edges of the socket head screws worked perfect gripping the eccentric arms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. Good suggestions. My actual purpose for these are for a belt driven table saw motor (sorry I snuck into this great router forum with a table saw question) used occasionally in a tiny garage workshop. The motor sticks out in the back big time. Motor is mounted on a two-rod support that slides back-and-forth for tension adjust. I added a HD plug strip at the location (bonus extra receptacle for shop-vac auto-on with saw) and when I'm done with saw I pull the plug, loosen the mount + motor, pull it off and store it on the wheeled base. Now the only thing I run into is the fence clamp lever. Ouch!
Originally the motor was held with 5/16" bolts. The lift-and-turn things are OK but not as good as these things that Mr. Smith identified as table lock handles. I am looking for quick and tool less removal of the motor because every time I mess with it I get mad I don't have a bigger shop! Soon as the garage warms up I'll probably cut slots in a bolt and make my own. Seems none of the table lock handle folks state the thread size. And the cost is up there.

And the darn carriage bolt I need for a swivel base on a vise.... The vise is a old Littlestown that somehow lost it's clamping stuff. 7/16" is absolutely the correct size for the bolting. I used a 7/16" NC and as expected it is too coarse a thread to provide adequate clamping. And again - no vise companies state the size of their replacement hardware for their swivels. The picture shows the 7/16"NC rod coupling (with a black sticker on top so it looks cool) presently in use.
Please forgive me for these off-subject questions, but this forum is without a doubt the most informative group of insanely smart people I have ever found.
Wood Gas Engineering Machine Bumper

·
Super Moderator
514 Posts
yo dude - we are all Craftsmen, WoodWorkers and Engineers here !!!
you know the saying: Adapt, Overcome and Improvise.
(I think we would like to see your table saw set up).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks all. Good suggestions. My actual purpose for these are for a belt driven table saw motor (sorry I snuck into this great router forum with a table saw question) used occasionally in a tiny garage workshop. The motor sticks out in the back big time. Motor is mounted on a two-rod support that slides back-and-forth for tension adjust. I added a HD plug strip at the location (bonus extra receptacle for shop-vac auto-on with saw) and when I'm done with saw I pull the plug, loosen the mount + motor, pull it off and store it on the wheeled base. Now the only thing I run into is the fence clamp lever. Ouch!
Originally the motor was held with 5/16" bolts. The lift-and-turn things are OK but not as good as these things that Mr. Smith identified as table lock handles. I am looking for quick and tool less removal of the motor because every time I mess with it I get mad I don't have a bigger shop! Soon as the garage warms up I'll probably cut slots in a bolt and make my own. Seems none of the table lock handle folks state the thread size. And the cost is up there.

And the darn carriage bolt I need for a swivel base on a vise.... The vise is a old Littlestown that somehow lost it's clamping stuff. 7/16" is absolutely the correct size for the bolting. I used a 7/16" NC and as expected it is too coarse a thread to provide adequate clamping. And again - no vise companies state the size of their replacement hardware for their swivels. The picture shows the 7/16"NC rod coupling (with a black sticker on top so it looks cool) presently in use.
Please forgive me for these off-subject questions, but this forum is without a doubt the most informative group of insanely smart people I have ever found.
View attachment 400962

View attachment 400962
Your table saw sounds like a 9" Delta Homecraft or 10" model 10. I've had both, except mine had square head set screws.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here are some photos. It is a 113.298762 10" Belt Drive Craftsman / Shop Fox Fence / Pretty Nice Motor - maybe Emerson? I have been very pleased with this fellow. The DIY mobile base works like a champ. View attachment 400976 View attachment 400977
Wow! I see what you mean about restricted access! You could probably get some 5/16 swing bolts off Ebay and run a bolt with a locknut through the eye. That would serve about the same purpose as what you're looking for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts