Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
one of the best DS's out there...
seems like a good price..
run it 1st and make sure it tracks. is clean, and nothing is bent...

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
I'll second what Stick said, it's a good one to get. Check the drum and make sure there aren't any gouges or dents in it and that it spins freely. Raise and lower the head to make sure it moves freely and doesn't have any backlash. I just changed the conveyor belt on our SuperMax 19-38 and it is a fairly easy task to accomplish. The belt was about $40 but it's a little bigger than the 16-32 so his pricing may be close.

David

·
Premium Member
Frank
368 Posts
Don,

I have the same unit. I bought mine at an auction and paid more than this. I use it on every project. My current project is a lid for my blanket chest. Rough cut it is 20”, so I had to run 2 passes. You cannot tell where the sander over lapped. Agree with Stick. Test run if possible. The is a great price.

Frank

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I just sold mine for $500.,Don, same model.
I have upgraded to the Super-Max 16-32.

The Performax is a great machine I used mine on every project I made.

The feed belts cost around $35. if you buy third party, if you get them from Jet, they run around $90.
I see where Woodworkers.com has them for under $30.

I buy all my belts from Woodworkers.com too, they have them precut, or rolls that are marked for you to cut to length.

https://2sand.com/feed-belt-performax-16-32-drum-sander

https://woodworker.com/16-14x43-12-aluminum-oxide-120-grit-feed-belt-mssu-156-143.asp

https://woodworker.com/80-grit-rdwrps-fits-perfryobi-16-32-aluminum-oxide-mssu-951-737.asp

Ebay also has sanding belts:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nk...12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

Herb

·
Registered
87 Posts
You realize this is an older machine?

Performax was purchased by Jet. The principles at Performax agreed to stay out of the drum sander business for 5 years. After they began anew as SuperMax.

Jet made few, if any, changes to Performax.

SuperMax made several changes, most notably an easier sanding belt change.

For what it's worth, I sold my Jet 16/32 about 4 years ago for $400 and bought the SuperMax 19/38.

Both machines are good. Had tracking issues with the Jet(Performax) 16/32.

Don't have that problem with the SuperMax.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
This sander looks to be in good condition and at a pretty good price. If it's the size that you've been looking for, you had better make an offer on it, but there's something else to consider as well. When buying a drum sander, make certain that your dust collector is large enough to handle it. They need an attached dust collector with significant flow at the tool connection or you will be in a dust fog every time that you use it.

Charley

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I had one of the original ones. Sold it for $200. Had nothing but trouble with it. Tracking and head alignment was a bear. A closed end system would be better. I'll be looking at a 36" used one soon, for $550. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be following Joat's advice.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I had one of the original ones. Sold it for $200. Had nothing but trouble with it. Tracking and head alignment was a bear. A closed end system would be better. I'll be looking at a 36" used one soon, for $550. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be following Joat's advice.
Gee Gene, Your the first person I have ever heard have a bad one. I am on my 3rd Performax, I started with a 10-20 several years ago and then went to a 16-32 several years later, that one I lost in the fire, so replace it with the 16-32 that I just sold, I had a good deal on a Super-max 16-32 I couldn't pass up so jumped for it.

The Super-Max (made in Canada) is priced right now new @ $1199. The Jet (formerly the Performax USA made) is $1399 ( made off shore).
Herb

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got emails from both Rockler and Woodcraft advertising the SuperMax 16-32 as being on sale for $999 plus shipping. Woodcraft charges a flat rate of $50, Rockler charges various rates based on service (business, residential, lift gate). The woodcraft deal seems to be better. On sale until February 20th or there about.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Gee Gene, Your the first person I have ever heard have a bad one. I am on my 3rd Performax, I started with a 10-20 several years ago and then went to a 16-32 several years later, that one I lost in the fire, so replace it with the 16-32 that I just sold, I had a good deal on a Super-max 16-32 I couldn't pass up so jumped for it.

The Super-Max (made in Canada) is priced right now new @ $1199. The Jet (formerly the Performax USA made) is $1399 ( made off shore).
Herb
Herb, it was one of the first ones to hit the market. From yours and other's comments, it sounds like some improvements were made. My experience with the one I had left a really bad taste. I'll not own another open end sander again. Especially, since I don't need the capacity and a DIY one based on a lathe would be quite adequate. Now, I've talked myself out of the closed end one I was thinking about.:grin:

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I got emails from both Rockler and Woodcraft advertising the SuperMax 16-32 as being on sale for $999 plus shipping. Woodcraft charges a flat rate of $50, Rockler charges various rates based on service (business, residential, lift gate). The woodcraft deal seems to be better. On sale until February 20th or there about.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
That is a good buy, On Sale til 2/22/18

Herb

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Herb, it was one of the first ones to hit the market. From yours and other's comments, it sounds like some improvements were made. My experience with the one I had left a really bad taste. I'll not own another open end sander again. Especially, since I don't need the capacity and a DIY one based on a lathe would be quite adequate. Now, I've talked myself out of the closed end one I was thinking about.:grin:
I saw that Lathe model too and If I had a lathe and wanted a drum sander would seriously consider that. I can't get along W/O one now that I have used one.

Herb

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I saw that Lathe model too and If I had a lathe and wanted a drum sander would seriously consider that. I can't get along W/O one now that I have used one.

Herb
I don't have a lathe, either. But I do have a couple Shopsmiths.:grin:

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.