Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Frank
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completed another project for the wife. This one is a drying rack that is attached to the wall next to the washing machine. Just got it installed yesterday. As always, it is made of walnut, except for the dowel rods. I used plans from one of my woodworking magazines. Although the article said to not finish the dowels or the end pieces, I did urethane both. The rack will extend out for use and push back when not in use. The most difficult part was attaching the dowels to the end pieces. Once I figured out that you can make three units the same and then attach them together, it was easier.

Frank

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Very interesting, Frank, and well done too I might add. A couple of questions tho.

1. How much sag is there when holding up a load of wet clothes?
2. How wide is it?
3. Can a person reach from the side easily to load the far side of the rack?
4. How far out does it extend?

The contrasting colors set it off nicely too.
HErb

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Nice looking rack Frank. I'm sure my wife would like one. I just don't know where I would put one. Well, as long as she doesn't see this I won't have to find a spot.

·
Premium Member
Frank
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Herb,

1. How much sag is there when holding up a load of wet clothes?
A: Not sure, Wife has not loaded it down yet. Have pressed down on it and it appears to be solid.

2. How wide is it?
A: Wall case is 26” and drying dowel length is 20 1/2”

3. Can a person reach from the side easily to load the far side of the rack?
A: Yes

4. How far out does it extend?
A: 29 1/2”

This design came from a woodworking magazine with minor exceptions.

Frank

·
Premium Member
Frank
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

Remember happy wife, happy life. I was lucky to have a place right beside the washing machine to mount to wall. It save several step from the old style floor model she was using. And yess, I did ask her if she wanted it before building one.

Frank

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very nice...! ! !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.