Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently had our plumbing redone - completely. All new pipe. The price did not include repairing the holes in the basement (MIL's apt) ceiling, so our son and I spent a day cutting and fitting drywall. That part is all done, but now I have to finish the patching with tape and mud. I tried starting this AM and really got frustrated. Had drywall mud dripping all over me, some stuck to the ceiling and I managed to get one piece of tape up before I just quit. :eek:

I've patched a few holes in my time, and even once replaced a piece of ceiling drywall when the upstairs heat pump overflowed and caused damage (different house, several years ago).

In my shop, all by myself, I can do things over and over until I get them right. Here, it doesn't work that way.

How thick (consistancy) is that stuff supposed to be? Any help anyone can give (short of hiring the work out - I'm keeping that option open) will truly be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
james cant you buy the drywall compound (mud) premixed. i belive that there alos is a what is called a light mix which is fast set and little shrinkage.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
James, another thing that helps is to use fiberglass mesh tape instead of paper tape. Like doing automotive body work, this gives the mud additional surfaces to cling to. I always use premixed mud. Roy is on the right track by suggesting the light weight fast set mix. Make sure you are using at least a 12" wide knife to spread, and only put on your pallet what you can spread in a couple minutes max. Take breaks between each pallet load to rest your arms.(and never arm wrestle with somebody who does this for a living!)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My arms ache thinking about doing a ceiling again..... and ceilings are very hard to get to look good..... for your money I'd say hire someone. You will be happier and they can do it better and faster then you as a diy ever will. I still do walls as needed but I will never do a ceiling ever again.......leave it to the kids

Ed

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, friends, thank you very much.

Ed I really need to do it myself if I can.

Randy & Roy, I was using an old (very old) bucket of premix and I just couldn't get it to thicken. LOML had it long before I married her and moved south. She may have thinned it for stipling. I'll go to Lowes this AM.

Mike, you may have hit it on the head. I was trying to dip it out of the bucket with a 4" blade and put it on the ceiling direct. While I'm at Lowes, I'll get some tools.

A guy on another forum (there's another?) said something about the first layer before applying tape should be about the thickness of a quarter.

Thanks, folks. I'll let you know how I did.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts